nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 15:05
Mixing brackish using tap and SG for green spotted puffer? #1
Can I use tap water/mix with marine salt to make brackish?
What's SG for GSP?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 17:01
Re: Mixing brackish using tap and SG for green spotted puffer? #2
Yes you can Nathan.

I love these fish but have never kept one personally.

Seriously Fish state:
Quote:
This species is very sensitive to deteriorating water conditions, so regular partial water changes are a must. Although it?s often considered a true freshwater species, it tends to be more long-lived with the addition of marine salt to a sg of around 1.005 in aquaria. It can also be maintained in freshwater, however.

Is this the fish you intend catching from the wild. I see they come from Vietnam as well as some other countries
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 17:38
Re: Mixing brackish using tap and SG for green spotted puffer? #3
THanks for reply Violet

Yep i'm going to catch them and a specie of bumblebee goby. I know that puffer is aggressive but they've been report to be kept with other fish peacefully as long as there're enough food. So ghost shrimps will also be kept in the tank. I'll also catch mangrove crabs.

Personally I've tried them in soft-fresh water community tank (I didn't anything about keeping fish then) and no fish were killed but they die within months.

By the way I just bought a new API master test kit, is that suitable to test for pH/NH3/NO2/NO3 in brackish tank?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 18:01
Re: Mixing brackish using tap and SG for green spotted puffer? #4
Think you may be risking it with goby and crabs really.

Obviously it's your decision but do consider the following.

- These puffers will take chunks out of other fish. Look like circular round holes - not nice.

- Puffers can get quite nasty as they mature, some sites refer to them as being spiteful.

- Crab legs/snails are recommended for this puffer to control his beak. His teeth will grow Nathan. Are you prepared to have to trim these a few times a year so he can eat? These means doping the fish with clove oil and then clipping the teeth. Not for the faint hearted I have to say!

- Crabs also eat fish. Crabs will catch a fish when snoozing.

Personally I would house alone but the choice is yours. Yup, you can use the API kit on brackish tanks too
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 18:12
Re: Mixing brackish using tap and SG for green spotted puffer? #5
I was thinking the same so crabs will go to a 90l specie tank. by the way mangrove crabs are scavenger and eat dead leaf mainly. The crabs at the area I'm going to catch is much more peaceful and smaller (massive population in small area) and I know them well, they don't eat live things.

The reason I serperate crabs is I know for sure they stand no chance with even just a single puffer in it.

I'm still researching about keeping bumblebee goby with puffer. Goby should be small enough to fit in hiding space puffer can't reach but also big enough not to get swallow. Still not so sure if it's a good idea but a single puffer in a 200l is way too bleak :(
Prop-root mangrove will also be plant to provide natural hiding place.

With personal experience (I've spent 2 days watching them in the wild). Both puffer and goby lived in a same area (like a pond but connected to bigger area) and puffer don't prey on goby, they prefer dead fish and they're seriously slow that I could catch them by hands.

About tooth.... I thought if I fed them snails then it'll be sorted out by itself :-O Do i really have to do that?????