jettson jettson
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 5:23
fish species id help #1
Hi everyone, new here and to fish keeping! I have been given a six foot tank along with six large fish recently from a family member who is unable to care for them anymore and are sentimentle. I have no idea of the species of any of them but the placo. Would someone mind helping me out with the id of my fish please and any tips you may have for keeping them :) thanks, jettson
fish one; about 30ish cm, pinkish face, silvery body with black speckles arranged along top, bottom and middle in a line has a sort of bony lump on forehead.
Fish two&three; think one is male, smaller female. Pointy sort of snout dark silvery green body with black speckles all over, about 20ish cm
fish four; narrow longish body, yellow green in colour with large black speckles. Pointy snout with large bottom jaw (can see lil teeth)
Fish five; gold fish maybe? Regular shape, gold all over big black eyes.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 10:19
Re: fish species id help #2
It would be a lot easier if you could post photos to be honest. Also is the tank tropical (with heater) or cold water?

By the way, even the pleco needs a photo as there are hundreds of species of pleco
jettson jettson
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Australia
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 12:00
Re: fish species id help #3
Thanks for the reply, was having alto of trouble uploading a picture as im using my phone. I get my computer back tomorrow so will upload them then. My tank is heated :)
Ill get a pic of my placo also, he is beautiful :)
Hopefully then you might be able ti help me with the species
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 10/5/2013 17:06
Re: fish species id help #4
There are so many Plecs available in the trade some wee ones, some getting up to whopper size.

'Planet Catfish' is a really good website which may help you to ID in the interim until you can load some pics up here for us.

Here you go....

http://www.planetcatfish.com/
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti