Bertpiebud Bertpiebud
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 16:46
Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #1
Help! What's wrong with my goldfish ?
I have this problem with my common goldfish on and off for a year, she appears to have little lumps on her sides,white stringy stuff comes out ,then it disappears for months then reappear .the lumps dont dont cause ulcers or scale loss or massively raised scales.She 6yrs old with another fantail of 6 yrs old, they grew up together and are very close but the fantail doesn't have any problems. They live in a 130litre tank with external and internal filter and aeration stones, live plants, have had water parameters checked by shop and all good. Over the year I have tried raised temperature and salts, esha2000,sterazin(flukes,worms),just recent two days ago I treated with methylene blue for protazoan and fungus(they both laid a million eggs last week) which seems to have made it the worse I ever seen it now, the fish expert shop doesn't seem to know what it is ?!
I have pictures but its hard with a mad swimmy fish, her demeanour and behaviour is not affected in any way . Never used this site so not sure how to post pictures ?
Any help would be massively appreciated . Thank you .
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 19:06
Re: Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #2
Hi, welcome to FK Sorry to hear you're having problems with your fish though. Have a read of the site help about photos and see if you can figure out to post them, shout it if you get stuck

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/faq/index.php?cat_id=4#q11

If you can try and find out exact water test results that would be great, just in case something isn't quite as it should be for some reason. Hopefully you can get some pics posted and that might give us some better ideas
It's Not Just A Fish
Bertpiebud Bertpiebud
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 19:57
Re: Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #3
Thank you for replying, I so desperate to find out what it is so I can fix it
I put my photos in photo bucket as I don't have a laptop just ipad so I think that's why I can't upload photos , let me know if its successful
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y ... bud/image_zpsdb89bb0a.jpg
I think you just copy and paste it to your browser ? Or try
Resized Image[/URL]
My parameters are
Temp- 70 f
Ph 7.5
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
I do water changes once a week, but at the moment because of the meth blue I am doing it daily bout 20%. Since I was told to give meth blue for my fish , the bumps are starting to really appear the most I ever seen and cotton thread coming out, its defo not anchor worm its more like stringy white .
Hope this helps
Thank you
Bertpiebud Bertpiebud
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 20:01
Bertpiebud Bertpiebud
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 20:05
Re: Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #5
Oh and thank you for kind welcome
Bertpiebud Bertpiebud
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 20:09
Re: Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #6
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y ... bud/image_zps728d1971.jpg

More photos
Bertpiebud Bertpiebud
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 20:23
Re: Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #7
Thought I give history as it might help,
I only just got them back over a year ago , my ex husband was horrid & wouldn't give them back to me, I eventually got them after they spent nearly 2 years with no cleaning or proper care, I took them back and got them a better tank from 65l to 130l , external filter, internal, fresh plants everything, the lumps seem to disappear then reappear ,with monthly gaps.
She starts of with a raised bump with no scales raised , then it has slight scale raise with white stringy stuff seeping out , then it disappears.
If I can give you any more information let me know, I hope this helps to maybe find out what's going on with PiePie(her name)
Again many thanks , sorry for multiple posts but I am trying to give you as much info as I can
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Registered Users Image Admin Caresheets Moderators Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 21:23
Re: Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #8
Hi Bertpiebud

So frustrating when nothing seems to work and you are left more confused by the way [img] needs to be in small casing so altered your one above Skin flukes and anchor worm sprung to mind when I read your post although I have never had to deal with this myself so couldn't say for sure, but looking at your photos it is possible it is Anchor worm, can I ask if you feed live food at all also when you treated for it the last time did you do any water changes before the course had finished as it my not have cleared it up
Annoyingly methylene blue can effect the good filter bacteria so you will need to keep an eye on this

I gather you have already seen the information below or similar

Anchor Worm

If you feed your Goldfish live food then this is one illness that you should definitely be on the lookout for. Anchor worms are tiny parasites that actually become embedded in the skin on your Goldfish. They can also strike other fish but today we will focus primarily on the Goldfish. If they become visible then they look as though they are very small sections of thread or string that are about 5 to 10mm. These parasites also have a forked tail but they are generally so small that it is hard to detect it. These parasites are typically reddish brown, clear white or greenish in color. The problem with these parasites is that the wounds they cause can become seriously infected and even kill your Goldfish is left untreated. If your fish does have Anchor worm then it may bump against the glass of the tank in an effort to scratch. You may also see little pieces of what look like thread hanging from the body of your fish. The best way to treat Anchor worms is a substance called Potassium Permanganate and this is added to the water in your tank for about 3 or 4 days. Normally this will do the trick if the parasites are caught early enough.
Bertpiebud Bertpiebud
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Surrey
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 21:38
Re: Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #9
Hi,
Thank you lots for fixing my error
Do you think that's what it is ?
I thought it could be anchor worm but no signs of scratching etc, no other signs just normal fishy things, when I looked up anchor worm it didn't look like any pictures and I don't feed live food, just fresh peas and pellets .
It was sterazin that I used before for internal worms I think it only treats ? No water changes when I used sterazin .
I hate this meth blue,its ruined my lovely bacteria I think.
I only put the meth blue in two days ago, how long should I wait before I treat for anchor ? Also this problem being going on for a while now , will the treatment be enough?
She acts normally, I hate to loose her I fought hard to get them back poor little mites .
I do anything to get her looking lovely again
Thank you for help much appreciated sorry for lots of questions but I want to do right by them
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/5/2013 21:57
Re: Please help , what's wrong with my fish? #10
If you're not sure the problem matches anchor worms (it's hard to be sure from the pics) it could possibly be small boils or pustules caused by an ongoing bacterial infection with aeromonas bacteria or similar.

Do the bumps appear quite quickly, like inflected spots/boils on people? When the cottony threads appear, does it look like the spot has burst? It may be pus leaking out; that can look kind of "thready" in water.