Laura Laura
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 20/4/2013 17:55
Ammonia spike or mini cycle? #1
Hi all, hope you're well.

I have a problem with my tank. A few days ago we had some electrical upgrades done and our tank was off for several hours longer than they'd anticipated.

I used a battery operated airstone to try and keep the filter going but I don't think it worked because Ammonia tested at 1.0 the next day. I've been doing daily water changes of one third and using Prime each time. Ammonia now reads 0.5.

My Cories are just lying on the tank floor, grouped up together. Admittedly they do show more life at night which is what I'd expect, but they're normally far more lively in the day than this. I know they're very sensitive to Ammonia and I'm worried about them. Can anyone tell me what else I can do? Any help would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Laura
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/4/2013 18:38
Re: Ammonia spike or mini cycle? #2
Hi

Sorry you're having problems.

The thing you need to do is monitor ammonia and nitrite levels at least once a day and do enough water changes to keep ammonia below 0.25 and nitrite below 0.50 until the cycle re-establishes. Right now, that means a 50% change. Every time you change water, add enough Prime to treat the whole tank at double the normal dose which should help detoxify the small amount of ammonia and/or nitrite remaining. Adding an airstone, or positioning the filter outlet to create extra surface disturbance will also help.

There's a full article on emergency measures for dealing with spikes in ammonia and nitrite here. Hopefully your filter will recover quite quickly. FX
Laura Laura
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Devon
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 21/4/2013 2:22
Re: Ammonia spike or mini cycle? #3
Thanks so much Fishlady. I should have posted the other results. Nitrites are consistently at 0 and Nitrates are at 10ppm (I assume because of the water changes we're doing?)

I've adjusted the filters to give extra surface movement and restarted the battery airstone.

I'll do larger water changes starting tomorrow and add more Prime.

Thanks also for the link to the article. I hadn't thought of food adding to the ammonia load so I'll give the sand a good hoover at water change time tomorrow.

Much appreciated and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Laura