Animal Welfare Vote
John A John A
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/4/2013 12:04
New pond and fish #1
I have spent the last 12 months building a large pond in my garden to keep Koi. It is 16' long x 8' wide and 5' deep (2' below ground level and 3' above). It is made of concrete construction and painted on the inside with Aqua Blue, Gold Label Pond paint. It has a bottom drain connected to a 6 bay multi-filter. I have a large air stone and UV light. The pond is about 2,400 gallons.

This weekend I filled the pond and purchased some fish from a local guy who was clearing out his pond. There were 7 large Koi and about 40 reasonably well sized goldfish. I put the Koi in a 15' swimming pool that my friend and I use as a quarantine tank. I put the goldfish in my pond.

The Koi are fine as were the goldfish to start with. After about half a day, most of the goldfish stopped swimming around and had very little movement. Thinking this had something to do with my pond/water, I took them out and put them into another quarantine tank with fresh water.

They were the same in this pool and I started loosing them rather quickly. Yesterday there were 6 dead, this morning there were a further 15 dead.

My friend who keeps Koi tested the water (which came straight from the tap), all levels are okay and the same as his water. He is actually taking a sample of the water to our local Koi shop and one of the dead goldfish for them to look at.

The fish came from quite a dirty pond, with very basic filtering etc. It was also well over stocked so I am amazed that they are not surviving in my crystal clear water? There was one dead one when we went to collect which gave me some concerns.

I wondered if I could find any info on the net. Then I found this forum, can anyone make any suggestions as I think I might loose all goldfish in the next 24 hours? Help please!
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 15/4/2013 12:29
Re: New pond and fish #2
Hi John I know this probably sounds obvious but can I ask how long you let the paint dry for before filling your pond also did you add any water conditioner to the pond water before adding the fish, do you have a filter at all, at a guess I would say it is water related when your friend tested the water what did he actually test for do you know sadly fish can survive in less than perfect water and when their water gets altered for the better it can have drastic results

Edit:
Just re-read your post and see it does have a filter
John A John A
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 15/4/2013 12:47
Re: New pond and fish #3
Hi Goldy, Thanks for the quick response. It was a week before I added water, no I did not add any water conditioner but this time I have filled it up through a de-chlorinator and my friend is getting some conditioner today. I have a multi-bay filter and I am going to let it cycle for a few days before putting in the koi now anyway. He has a kit which tests Nitrate, Nitrite, Amonia and PH.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 15/4/2013 12:59
Re: New pond and fish #4
Sadly your losses are likely down to the new tap water and also the fact that your filter has yet to mature to speed your filter bacteria up you could add some filter media from your friends pond, but you will need to monitor the water readings which means testing daily so getting your test kit is advisable hopefully one of our pond advisor's will be on soon and give you a few tips, but in the meantime there is plenty of information on here for you to scan through, any questions fire away and good luck
John A John A
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 15/4/2013 13:10
Re: New pond and fish #5
How long do you think it should be left to mature before adding the Koi and/or goldfish? Will the conditioner speed this process up? I don't want to leave my Koi in the pool for too long as this has no filter.

The strange thing is that my friend also just finished his new pond this weekend and put his Koi straight in his pond. His koi are fine? The only difference was that he used the de-chlorinator and I did not the first time???
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 15/4/2013 13:47
Re: New pond and fish #6
Ahh so he cant help out with the mature filter media then we recommend roughly 8 weeks in a fish tank for the filter to mature and then you need to slowly stock the tank so that the filter has time to adjust, but as you already have a good few koi and the pool does not have a filter you are better off adding a pond water conditioner to neutralise the chlorine and chlorine and putting the fish back into your pond seachem are very good but you may need to order on-line which means waiting and you don't really want to wait any longer than you have to before putting the fish back into the pond

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/PondPrime.html

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/PondStability.html

I cant vouch for the pond stability but it wouldn't hurt to use it too, hopefully one of our pond advisor's can confirm this or not

if you cant get them local then king British also do pond conditioners, safe guard and safe water together are good, but your filter will still need to build up the good bacteria which means monitoring the water also adding live plants will help

Another thing is the time of year for setting up a pond, temperatures will be slowly warming up which maybe a factor in your fish dying especially as they where moved from an established pond
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 15/4/2013 20:23
Re: New pond and fish #7
Goldy has said almost everything I was thinking of.

I would suggest you buy a water quality test kit, and if your friend lives a few miles away, hopefully he will have "different water" than you, so maybe he could look after your fish until the filter matures?
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 16/4/2013 13:45
Re: New pond and fish #8
How are you getting on John A, did you get some water conditioner, and have you had any more losses