MissCarter555 MissCarter555
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 11:32
Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #1
Hi, Does anyone know what sort of Algae Eater this could be? The picture is not very clear as I took It with my phone, I bought him 3 weeks ago and he was just over an inch long and now he is just over 2inches.. He was labelled an Indian Algae Eater but having looked through the net I feel he looks like a Chinese Algae Eater.. Could someone please advise me :) Thank you x
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 11:35
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #2
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 11:44
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #3
Hi and welcome,

Pic is a bit blurry, but am 99% certain he's a Chinese Algae Eater. Have a look here for a detailed profile with pics of a CAE and here at the various fish who are often mislabelled in shops for clear pics showing the differences. Hopefully if you compare your guy to those you'll be able to tell for sure.

EDIT: Indian Algae Eater is a much lesser used name for the Siamese Algae Eater. Profile here of that fish, which is quite different to the CAE.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 11:50
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #4
don't know why I thought that was your first post and said "Welcome" ....must be getting old!
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 11:53
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #5
Thats really helpful thank you, I have him in a coldwater tank with two Fantails.. The Lady in the shop said he's been kept in coldwater tanks there but that they were versatile when in comes to temp of the water and that he'll be fine with the fantails... Which was the case till about a couple of days ago when I noticed him sucking one of my fish. Not that I can blame him as the Fantails keep swimming over and settling next to him and letting him do it.. What do I do? I'm no expert but I pretty sure common sense says thats not right.. x
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 11:58
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #6
Unfortunately these do sometimes acquire a taste for the slime coat on goldies and once they get into the habit it's impossible to break. He will become more aggressive as he matures too and grow pretty large so your fantails are in danger from him. He really oughtn't to be in a cold tank either to be honest. They do cope with it, but it isn't ideal. As you've only had him a short time and he's not the species the shop said he was, plus he is damaging your goldies I think the best thing is to ask the shop to take him back.
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 16:54
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #7
Thats what I though I will transfer him to my other tank, which has a heater so I can slowly increase the temperature for him. Is there any fish that would be suitable to go in the tank with him I don't like the thought of him being lonely I'm a soft touch, and I couldn't bare to take him back he's an entertaining like thing when he's not busy sulking my Goldfish x
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 17:33
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #8
Have a look at this care sheet on the Seriously Fish web site. Scroll down to "Behaviour and Compatibility" for an idea of the types of fish that work and don't work with this species. The most successful combination with him would be a shoal or two of larger, fast moving barbs, danios or rasboras, or tetras such as Colombian, Buenos Aires, Red-Eye Tetra.This does all depend on your water pH and hardness and size of tank too, though.
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 17:38
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #9
On my! Just seen the tank needed for these fishies - eek!

Can you actually house him long term? Might be better to return given care sheet.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 9/4/2013 17:38
Re: Any idea what type of Algae Eater this is? #10
Thank you so much for your help x