nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 3/4/2013 13:34
Nitrite spike #1
My relative overfed my malawi tank and now it's in seriously problem!!

NO2 was like 5ppm
NO3 20ppm
NH3 0

The water is very cloudy just exactly like the end of the NO2 cycle.

I did a big water change but it didn't bring down NO2 much, the test still show strong purple color. My plan at the moment is to do daily water change for 2 days and see how things will turn out. Any suggestion?

Getting some matured media from other tanks are impossible. My community tank is too densely planted and under-stocked for all readings are 0. Same goes for my betta tank and no way I'll risk taking any media from shrimp tank
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 3/4/2013 20:14
Re: Nitrite spike #2
Hi nathan.

the filter is playing catch up then with the nitrite being the after result of an ammonia spike missed.

A 50% water change will lower nitrite to 2.5ppm so I'd be tempted to do 2 largish changes am and pm. This will be needed for a while until your nitrite is reading nil again.

Do the fish look OK, no gasping or anything? try to increase your airation is you can too.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/4/2013 0:32
Re: Nitrite spike #3
The fish look pretty okay but I think it's the fish that's hardy. Aeration is already very high in the tank

I can't do water change twice a day, I won't have enough hard water to do it twice a day. But I will try to do it daily