Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/3/2013 23:50
Just a suggestion #1
I think it would e useful to new people if there was a 'Staff' link in the Main menu on the left sidebar so people could know who the current advisers are on the forum.

Also do you think the site would benefit from having two layers of staff:

Advisers - as now

Moderators - these would have lesser powers that are restricted to certain boards. They could be able to edit posts for example or delete abusive posts etc (leaving anything unclear until an advisor comes along), or maybe they could only lock or sticky topics and not be able to change others posts.

I just think there are a lot of helpful, trustworthy members who would be happy to help out the advisers to lessen the load.
TK
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/3/2013 0:03
Re: Just a suggestion #2
We already have two layers Look under or names and you'll see some are Advisers, some are Advisers and Moderators.
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 20/3/2013 0:28
Re: Just a suggestion #3
Oh yeah! In the groups section! Nevermind.
The current moderators are like what I call global moderators: a step higher again than a standard moderator.

Also more from a security perspective should old moderators who are inactive have their moderating powers removed?t
TK
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 21/3/2013 18:49
Re: Just a suggestion #4
Quote:

Tknoxx wrote:
Also more from a security perspective should old moderators who are inactive have their moderating powers removed?t

Why? They may be inactive due to illness or even death.

Where would it stop? if you then followed that, and deleted anyone who no longer posts this and other forums would only have about 10 members (ok, so I am exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea)
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 21/3/2013 20:23
Re: Just a suggestion #5
I didn't say anything about deleting the account - if they come back the powers could quickly be restored. Besides if they are dead they can't moderate and if they are ill they shouldn't be lumbered with the responsibility.

I just think it is risky leaving inactive accounts with moderator powers. On most forums I am on, particularly one as active as this, there would be no chance of a staff member retaining such privileges and responsibilities years after they stopped contributing. I mean sure if they come back restore the power if you want.

Also it is confusing for new members if they want to contact staff for help and find that the staff they have contacted haven't been on in ages.

Again it's just a suggestion.
TK
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 21/3/2013 22:04
Re: Just a suggestion #6
Mods have gold/orange stars, non-mods have silver/grey ones There are a few mods who've not been around for a while but none have left under a cloud so if they were ever in a position to come back I don't think anyone would have a problem with them taking up where they left off Yes, they could have their status changed while they're not around but it's never (as far as I know) been felt to be necessary
It's Not Just A Fish
Goldy Goldy
  • Forum Manager
  • Forum Manager
  • From Cheshire
  • Group: Moderators Caresheets Image Admin Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/3/2013 16:22
Re: Just a suggestion #7
Quote:

Tknoxx wrote:

I just think it is risky leaving inactive accounts with moderator powers. On most forums I am on, particularly one as active as this, there would be no chance of a staff member retaining such privileges and responsibilities years after they stopped contributing. I mean sure if they come back restore the power if you want.

Also it is confusing for new members if they want to contact staff for help and find that the staff they have contacted haven't been on in ages.

Again it's just a suggestion.

Most of the older moderators who are no longer around have already previously had their mod status removed as for a few Moderators that have been with the forum from the start and helped build it, but because of family life and other commitments can not contribute for the time being, then they will retain their mod status until they either request it to be removed or they are inactive for a certain amount of time that Admin feels the need to alter their status there is no security issue I can assure you although I can understand your concern and how it can be confusing to new members, but if they need to contact a member of staff then most of the moderators will respond to a private message even if they are not advising at the time myself included
Tknoxx Tknoxx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Lewis
  • Posted on: 25/3/2013 0:32
Re: Just a suggestion #8
Thanks for that Goldy.
I think the staff do an admirable job on here.
TK