Spuff Spuff
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/2/2013 16:24
Dangerous tank electrics ... tempararly rehoming my fish #1
We got a 250 litre tank from All Pond Solutions. To cut a long story short, they sent us a new tank lid because the because the light ballasts blew after a couple of months. I got the new lid and fitted it today. I was re-fitting my cycled filter media back into the hood (built-in filtration) and touched a metal part on the lid with damp hands and the damn thing electrocuted me!! Didn't just happen once, it happened 3 times! Anyway, as a result, we are requesting that they take the entire tank back for a full refund because we now have no faith in the build quality whatsoever.

This presents us with a problem ... our fish.

We're hoping that if this all gets settled, we can go and buy a 4ft Juwel Rio 240 tank but until we can get it, we'll need a temporary home for our fish. We currently have a Juwel Rio 125 (cycled) with only 7 tiger barbs in it currently. If we can trade the barbs in at our LFS, we were hope that this 125 litre tank is going to be big enough for our fish for around a week or 2. Our stock includes:
4 small (1-2 inch) clown loaches
1 small (3 inch) pleco
1 otto
8 neon tetras
1 black emperor tetra
6 harlequin rasboras
2 congo tetras

Sorry to be a bit long-winded ... it's just I don't want to fry my fish in their own home!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/2/2013 17:27
Re: Dangerous tank electrics ... tempararly rehoming my fish #2
Not ideal by any means, but preferable to electrocution!

I would monitor the tank very closely and up your water changes while they're all in there. It may be an idea to have a large food-safe storage box (like the Really Useful range from Staples), heater and internal filter on stand by just in case there are serious disputes that mean some fish need separating.

Push as hard as you can for a swift refund, and good luck.
Spuff Spuff
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 27/2/2013 18:27
Re: Dangerous tank electrics ... tempararly rehoming my fish #3
Thanks,
Filtration shouldn't be an issue in the 125l tank. We have the Juwel box filter that is built in to the tank and we have a separate 1200 lph internal filter (cycled) which we will also transfer over.
We have an API master kit to check that nitrates don't go silly and perform prompt water changes.
I guess when you spend ?300 on a tank and cabinet, it's true what they say ... buy cheap, buy twice. :-/
Spuff Spuff
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 10/3/2013 23:22
Re: Dangerous tank electrics ... tempararly rehoming my fish #4
As an update (and a request for more advice !), I have now got a second hand Juwel Rio 240! I have also gone out and bought a brand new Eheim Ecco Pro 300 external filter, which I'm currently running alongside an APS 1200 LPH internal filter. I have removed the Juwel internal built-in box filter.
I want to start transferring my fish over from my Rio 125 ASAP, especially my clown loaches (barely seen them in the small tank ... the poor things are always hiding in one of the ornaments ). I have done my best to keep the bacteria on the internal filter alive with ammonia. So if I add ammonia on one day and test the water the next, if ammonia and nitrites are both 0, does this mean it is safe to put the fish in? Or should I fishless cycle some more to be on the safe side?
Also, in the long run, will the Eheim Ecco Pro 300 enough to filter the tank alone or will I always need to run another filter with it? It says it is suitable for tanks up to 300L but the guy in the shop was trying to sell my another filter that was twice the price and said that the claimed tank size on the box is always 'optimistic'!
Sorry to waffle on ... I guess I'm still a relative n00b to fishkeeping!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/3/2013 23:54
Re: Dangerous tank electrics ... tempararly rehoming my fish #5
Yes, set it all up and test by dosing ammonia. You can put the media from the internal APS inside the Ecco thus transferring the bacteria from one filter to the other.

As to whether the Ecco will be enough, that's a difficult one. It will depend on stock level/feeding and so on, but a normally stocked 240L should be fine with that.
Spuff Spuff
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 11/3/2013 0:20
Re: Dangerous tank electrics ... tempararly rehoming my fish #6
I suppose as long as the water appears clear and ammonia and nitrites are both 0 when we have our fish in, then the filtration is adequate? I test and change the water quite frequently anyway, at least one a week.