(1) 2 »
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/1/2013 20:14
Wondering about water changes #1
Have been thinking about this a bit but can't really decide one way or the other ?

At the moment I do a weekly water change of about 25-30%, but I'm wondering if it would be better to do two changes per week of about 10-15% instead.

Can anyone think of any benefits or otherwise?
It's Not Just A Fish
Silverfish Silverfish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 5/1/2013 21:34
Re: Wondering about water changes #2
I would imagine the only difference in doing the 10-15% changes would be less sudden change for the goldies?
No matter how much you match the water before a change with temps and hardness and conditioners, it's still fresh clean water which is different to their nice comfy water that they've cheerfully filled with poop.

Mine anyway seem to prefer 'aged' water and they're a bit 'huffy' after a change. Also with doing more frequent changes, you're syphoning the mucky gravel more frequently, making it cleaner over all rather than letting it build up and doing it all in one go. Like the rabbits, I hoover their carpet every day in 5 mins, rather than doing it once a week and filling a hoover bag!

Of course it's mostly 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, but I reckon it may have more pros than cons.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 5/1/2013 21:59
Re: Wondering about water changes #3
I know what you mean about the 'huffiness', mine seem a bit like that after a water change sometimes too. That's partly what got me wondering about whether 'little and often' might be a better way of keeping things stable. Think I might give it a go and see what happens Will report back
It's Not Just A Fish
Yann Yann
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Somerset
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/1/2013 11:14
Re: Wondering about water changes #4
Hi

I usually do a 15-30% water chance every week. As it is better for the biological filtration and the water temp shock.
i would also use a vacuum as it cleans all the food and poo from the bottom

cheers

YANN
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/1/2013 11:43
Re: Wondering about water changes #5
Quote:

suey2 wrote:
Have been thinking about this a bit but can't really decide one way or the other ?

At the moment I do a weekly water change of about 25-30%, but I'm wondering if it would be better to do two changes per week of about 10-15% instead.

Can anyone think of any benefits or otherwise?

The fish will probably do better with more frequent, smaller changes. The only downside is the nitrate issue as two small changes remove less nitrate than one large change of twice the size.

Quick example. Tank nitrate 40ppm, tap nitrate 0. Change 50% of water in one go and nitrate drops to 20ppm. Change 25% twice and nitrate drops to 30ppm on the first change and then to 22.5 ppm plus 75% of any rise that has occurred between the two changes.

To maintain the same maximum and minimum nitrate levels as before, the two smaller changes in a week have to add up to more than the previous one large one.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 6/1/2013 16:35
Re: Wondering about water changes #6
If I wasn't at work I would do large and often - the more often you are doing it the larger the change can be as there will be less difference between tank and new water, and that would be closer to nature. (Roll on retirement and fancy plumbing arrangements!)
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 7/1/2013 0:00
Re: Wondering about water changes #7
The nitrate was one thing I was wondering about, I made a spreadsheet a while ago to calculate the difference after a water change for any given level/volume of water (I do like a nice spreadsheet!) so that was kind of lurking at the back of my mind I can't help but wonder if the changes I do are causing too much of a fluctuation though, I'm doing around 200 litres per tank per week (600 litre tanks). Because of the volume of water I can't 'age' enough to be able to do all my water changes in one day. Up to now i've preferred to do it all in one day due to time constraints, but thinking about it with the benefit of a bit of breathing space I'm thinking little and often might help make it more manageable

I can only store 100 litres and I like to leave it a day or so before using it so any PH changes can sort themselves out, and to get it up to temperature. So if I do all my changes on one day only one bin's worth of the four I need gets to adjust properly. Which got me wondering if I'd be better doing smaller more frequent changes, as apart from anything else I'd be able to use better prepared water. If that makes sense
It's Not Just A Fish
Bead Bead
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 8/1/2013 17:27
Re: Wondering about water changes #8
I do two 30 to 40% water changes a week one on a Wednesday and again on a Sunday but that's mainly because my tank isn't big enough for the boyz. I think I am going to continue this when I get my bigger tank but may do, 2 changes of 25%, I have found this is helping to get the rescue goldies back to health and even though they sulk when I'm doing it, they seem happy after. Or may be that's just me being a soppy moo :).

New tank is due any time :) I'm so excited
The proud owner of a 350 litre tank as a home for my 6 fancy goldies.... Dumbledore, Dylan, Noggin, Ben, Bubo and little Nanny (name change when her personality comes out).
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 8/1/2013 17:58
Re: Wondering about water changes #9
Exciting times on the new tank

I'm going to start doing some smaller changes over the next few days and see what happens I definitely need to get it to a method I can easily fit into weekday evenings now as I've just got a new job (after a few months of not working and so being able to take my time with the fish!) and as Mr S works away from home during the week I don't want to be spending the weekend up to my ears in fish
It's Not Just A Fish
Bead Bead
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 8/1/2013 18:14
Re: Wondering about water changes #10
My hours are going to be changing at work so I am gonna have to replan my routine but as I will be working nights not sure how yet :/ and like you on my days off I don't wanna be spending it 'playing with poopy water' lol. Hope your new job is going well? X
The proud owner of a 350 litre tank as a home for my 6 fancy goldies.... Dumbledore, Dylan, Noggin, Ben, Bubo and little Nanny (name change when her personality comes out).