Kenno44 Kenno44
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/12/2012 1:26
Red tailed black shark in trouble #1
Hi all, so i have a problem with my red tailed black shark, short story is i have just relocated my entire community from their original 95l tank to a 260l tank as the shark was getting rather big and i wanted him properly housed.

I made my stupidist biggest mistake after and drained the old tank! so stupid i cant believe i did it now, but all fish seemed really happy in new home

The new tank was fishless cycled in the same way as my original tank using the same water, same ammonia, same everything. i used digital thermometers to match both tanks temperature.

so new 260l tank levels are all as they should be 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and very little nitrate if any at all.

i made the move all in one go and yes i know this probally wasnt the best idea as could of caused more stress etc but all seemed fine yesterday, so i moved over 11 tetras 1 clown pleco and 1 rtbs, all seemed fine and was happily swimming around, sharks tail went more red than i have seen before so took this as a good sign and he was making good use of the new length for swimming

24 hours later and i notice the shark hiding a bit and his body going greyish so instantly i checked all tank levels and all was fine, then about 2 hours later the shark floats out from behind the rocks and is now floating upright around he cant swim and has gone extremly pale (his tail still lovely and red mind?? )

i expected to stress him out during the move but this is faaaar from what i had in mind absolutly gutted because the whole reason i bought a brand new big tank was for his wellbeing

any advice will be greatly appreciated even if its to end his misery i will if im advised too not that i want too.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 24/12/2012 1:31
Re: Red tailed black shark in trouble #2
Tough one - the thing that springs to mind is that levels in the new tank may be different to the old. Do you happen to know what your old tank levels for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH were immediately before the change, and the pH in the new tank? How did you actually move the fish - was there any acclimatisation period or were they just moved straight from one tank to the other?
Kenno44 Kenno44
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 24/12/2012 1:47
Re: Red tailed black shark in trouble #3
The levels in both tanks were identical I tested them both right before the move, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 no more than 5ppm nitrate, ph 7.4.

As said both tanks cycled the exact same way so in my opinion is almost identical water just the old tank would of been more mature I guess but new tank was turning 3ppm ammonia to nitrate within 24 hours.

I didn't really hold them long, I filled a container with water from the new tank ( was desperately trying to keep old water from entering new tank as I wanted no snail contamination in new tank) and I assumed both waters to be the same anyway, and moved them across the room into the new home, the shark did give me some trouble as I lifted him from the water he started thrashing and I put him strait into container and he continued to thrash a lot so I panicked as I didn't want him to hurt himself and i went strait to new tank to free him.

He seemed fine last night, he was eating he was patrolling the new tank seemingly enjoying the now space he had to properly swim and his tail went the brightest iv seen it, I know their tales are indicators and was expecting it to lighten due to stress.....

I'm confused and worried as I can't see him recovering?
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 24/12/2012 14:09
Re: Red tailed black shark in trouble #4
Might be an idea to test for GH and KH as well if you can, do you know what it was in the previous tank at all? Hope he's looking a bit better now though
It's Not Just A Fish
Kenno44 Kenno44
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 24/12/2012 21:29
Re: Red tailed black shark in trouble #5
No I don't know what they was in the previous tank I'm afraid.

Unfortunately it's too late now, I found him dead this morning right on Christmas Eve ay. Sigh.

I'm not 100% sure what happened but I know ill take extra precautionarys next time. Now I have a 260l tank with a baby plec and 9 tetras! Little bit unatocked for 8 weeks of cycling.

Merry Christmas everyone

R.I.P Bruce
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 24/12/2012 21:38
Re: Red tailed black shark in trouble #6
Sorry to hear your news, the plec will soon grow so the 260 Will be good.

JON
Resized Image
Judgegeo Judgegeo
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 24/12/2012 23:30
Re: Red tailed black shark in trouble #7
Sorry to hear the news. I'd be gutted if my RTBS ended up like this! :(
Kenno44 Kenno44
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Wiltshire
  • Posted on: 24/12/2012 23:41
Re: Red tailed black shark in trouble #8
Yea the tank was still a needed upgrade and i know the plec will soon grow up, going to replace the shark while the pleco still young they can grow up together then.

Still very gutted as he was doing so well before