Animal Welfare Vote
elliejo3213 elliejo3213
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/12/2012 22:26
Apple Snail help #1
Hi there. I have been looking for some info on the care of my apple snail Brian3. Ive had 2 others previously which lasted about a year each. But now after finding out about the ban I would really like to keep Brian3 alive as long as I can!
He is currently living in a 2footx1foot tank with 5 goldfish, water is changed and tested and everything is fine with that. We have quite low pH here ( and had some shell erosion problems with the previous snails) so I added some coral sand and pH is now about 7-8. Had no problem with shell for brian3.
He feeds on algae and decaying plants ( its impossible to try and grow them with such destructive fish!). Ive tried feeding cucumber but fish get to it first.

So i was wondering if i should move him to a tank of his own or keep him where he is?
The tank i have is a 12L aquaspace. If i do move him how do i go about getting the water quality right. Can i fill it with water from the main fishtank? Do snails need a airpump/filter? I have the option of a light, is this needed?
As its a smaller tank so i guess the temp will fluctuate more, is a heater required?

Thanks in advance!
Ellie
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/12/2012 22:43
Re: Apple Snail help #2
We have a care sheet for Apple Snails here with full details, but basically he needs 20 litres of water and the tank needs to be big enough to hold that with space above the water line for him to come completely out of the water. He also needs quite hard alkaline water and a heater. It would be best if he had a filter, but with regular testing and frequent partial water changes that may not be needed if he's the only occupant.

It would be a good idea to have a look at this page on tank sizes for Goldfish. Sit down first as it may come as a shock to realise that 5 Goldies will need a tank of around 350 litres if they are fancy types (Fantails, Orandas, Ranchus, Moors etc) or 400 litres and 6 feet long if they are Common goldfish - better yet for Commons would be to find someone with a pond they could move to next Spring when the weather warms up.

EDIT Added link to Goldfish tank size article
elliejo3213 elliejo3213
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/12/2012 23:09
Re: Apple Snail help #3
Hi thanks for the reply!

I do have the option of a larger tank, but a bit reluctant as it is the reserve "hospital" tank - we had an issue with ammonia and possible septicemia 4yrs ago :( and I lost my 13yr old possible Wakin (identical to a gold fish but had a double tail -never seen one like it since) so we like to keep a back up!

Yes, i know i am massively overstocked at the moment (they are common goldfish) but we do regular water tests and changes, hoovering gravel etc.. to minimise waste build up.
One of the fish has tumours growing on him so not sure how long he'll last... but next year around spring I should be moving out of rented house, so will be able to get a bigger tank ( had my eye on a 4ft tank on gumtree) so will move 2-3of the bigger fish out and leave the other 2 will stay where they are.

Its crazy how complicated goldfish can be! Been a steep learning curve!!