(1) 2 »
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:06
Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #1
So I had 7 shrimps in total but one just died about an hour ago. Like usual I took him out and test for ammonia/nitrite or nitrate immediately.
Result is all zero and pH is 7.5
Temp is at 24C atm.
(It's understandable that all readings are zero because I don't feed my shrimps commercial food, I only put 2-3 pellet of shrimps food in every week to feed my snails. My shrimps feed completely on algae pebbles)

I tried to find the problem and remembered that I just inrtoduce 3 dwarf lettuce to the tank 24 hours ago without soaking it.

There's only 1 death atm but I'm afraid there will be more so I took the lettuce out and soak it. I can't do any water change atm as my water container just got re-filled with tap water and dechlorinator in my country is too toxic and no way I'll risk that
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:12
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #2
If it was the plants it would have been due to copper used in snail treatments which would have affected them all, not just one. There must be some other reason if only one shrimp is affected.

Quote:
(It's understandable that all readings are zero because I don't feed my shrimps commercial food, I only put 2-3 pellet of shrimps food in every week to feed my snails. My shrimps feed completely on algae pebbles)

No it's not understandable. No matter what the diet of the shrimp, the waste they produce contains ammonia and is processed through the cycle in the usual way.

EDIT: The effect from copper would have been much faster, too.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:16
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #3
But shrimps produce really few waste and last water change was yesterday.

Beside the dwarf lettuce, could there be any other reason for the shrimp to die?
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:19
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #4
Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully

If it was copper then only 1 death would be very lucky. The only thing I notice is after introducing the plants, my shrimps love hanging on their roots.

Talking about snails, there weren't any snail on the plants too
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:19
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #5
Didn't you have fish in there with the shrimp? Have they been removed now?

It's hard to say why the shrimp died unfortunately - did it show any symptoms before it died?
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:24
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #6
Nope, not at all, it just died... After a nap and light on, I saw it laying on it side at the bottom of the tank. It was still very red and fresh but not moving at all, I used a tweezer to touch it and it didn't move so I took it out. Afraid it was unconcious or something so I left it in a small water container for 5 minutes but nothing happened. Touched it with my finger to see if it just molted or not and the shell was still hard.

The fish are still there, doing very great. They feed on algae (or micro creature on it) and I feed them moina at weekend as a treat.

I've never seen the fish attack the shrimps as they're even smaller than the shrimp
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:38
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #7
If you have fish in there as well as shrimp you should be seeing nitrate in the water - it still sounds like there may be an issue with the cycle.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:44
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #8
I could take a picture of nitrate test at the end of next week for you to see. It's not pure yellow but it's no where near 5ppm.

There's only 8 of them in a 50l of water
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:45
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #9
By the way. Is there anything I could try to do to prevent further death at the moment?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 16/12/2012 9:47
Re: Shrimp died after introduction of dwarf lettuce #10
Quote:

nathangoudie wrote:
I could take a picture of nitrate test at the end of next week for you to see. It's not pure yellow but it's no where near 5ppm.

There's only 8 of them in a 50l of water

They should be producing more than that.

I don't know what the problem is with your shrimp, but something is wrong. Maybe they just don't have enough food.