what's going on?
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 1/12/2012 4:13
Re: Another shrimp died #2
I think I've found the problem. It's the copper from the pellet I've tried to feed my micro-fish. The fish don't eat those and the food decay in the bottom, maybe that's where the copper leak and killed my shrimp.

I just did a water and clean the sand. But I couldn't do a 100% cleaning as that will take more than 50% water change and harm the shrimps.

SO I did like close to 50% water change and add a layer of new sand on the old one ( I sucked a lot of old sand out).
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 1/12/2012 5:52
Re: Another shrimp died #3
After water change one of my shrimp is acting weird, I'm afraid he will die soon :-s

He's like in some kind of concussion. He was hanging near the tank surface and when I touch him, he falls like he's dead and lie still on the plant. Seconds later, he turns around and swim somewhere else
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/12/2012 11:52
Re: Another shrimp died #4
The symptoms the shrimp is showing are classic for shock. Did you match the pH, gH, kH and temperature of the new water exactly to the water in the tank? How much water did you change?

The small amount of copper in food is unlikely to be the cause of the deaths I'm afraid. Even shrimps need a small amount of dietary copper and Hikari shrimp Cuisine (a special shrimp pellet) contains copper as a trace element.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 1/12/2012 16:13
Re: Another shrimp died #5
What if there's a lot of food lying everywhere?

Well I did a big water change, over 50%
THe shrimps are fine now. I match everything but I forgot about the temp. But there're only 3 left :(

The last dead was like he was dying on a plant, I thought he was standing on the plant but he didn't move for too long, I touched him and he fell down, that's when I realize he was dead
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 1/12/2012 16:51
Re: Another shrimp died #6
There isn't enough copper in food to cause a problem. You'd probably need to empty a whole tub into the tank to have enough copper to make them sick, but then the ammonia would get them first.

If the temperature was different that would explain the recent problem immediately after the water change. Shrimps are very sensitive to any changes in conditions.

EDIT: There really shouldn't be a lot of food lying about. If it isn't eaten you should syphon it out to prevent it from decaying in the tank and causing ammonia spikes.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 1/12/2012 17:06
Re: Another shrimp died #7
If copper is not then I don't know why the second shrimp died :(
The fish are still thriving, ammonia is 0