Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 12:33
Sexing Bolivian Rams #1
Hi all,

I've bought 3 Bov rams today that are quite young - been in my lfs about a week. I asked for 2 females and 1 male but the shop owner said as they are so young they are hard to sex.

is there an easy way to tell when they get a bit older? The owner said I can take them back if I end up with more than 1 male which I though was good though.
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 12:46
Re: Sexing Bolivian Rams #2
Bolivians can be hard to sex as male and female are very similar, but in general when they mature the males are larger and more slender than the females, they have longer rays at the front of the dorsal fin, the tail fin is slightly lyre-shaped and males are more colourful.

The only ways to be absolutely sure are by venting (which isn't recommended unless an expert can show you in person how to do it safely) or waiting for a pair to form. Once paired and ready to spawn the breeding tubes appear and the male's is smaller and more pointed than the female's.
Newbie_Rob Newbie_Rob
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 13:02
Re: Sexing Bolivian Rams #3
Thanks fish lady.

presumably 2 males will fight? How can I differentiate fighting to flirting? As initially it appeared to me that the apistos were fighting but as they've now settled together they obviously weren't
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams