mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 6:32
One of my platies is not well! #1
Hi,
Noticed this morning one of my platy did not come out for food and noticed it hiding in a plant.

On closer inspection it has a cluster of small lumps forming a larger lump near the tail??

All the other fish appear fine. Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0pmm. ph 7.8 and have not done nitrate yet as I am going to do a water change shortly.

Has anyone ideas please....the only medication I have in stock is white spot. I can walk over to the lfs at 10am to get other medication if needed,but I do not think they stock a big range.
Resized Image
mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 7:00
Re: One of my platies is not well! #2
It is difficult to view the fish, but the "cluster" of small lumps may in fact not be that. It maybe, as the lump is a reasonable size, the "stretching" caused by the lump may be making it appear to be a cluster.

I cannot get a good enough view to take a photo at the moment as it is still hiding in the vegetation.

All the other fish appear perfectly fine.
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 8:10
Re: One of my platies is not well! #3
It's hard to say what this is without seeing it. Can you try and describe in more detail if you can't get a photo? Colour of the lump(s), how big, any inflammation or fluffiness etc?

It sounds like it might possibly be lymphocystis as that often manifests at the base of the tail, where the body joins the tail-fin.
mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 8:37
Re: One of my platies is not well! #4
Hi Fishlady,
Got another look at it...the size is equivalent to may be half the depth of the "wrist" of the tail...It is difficult to tell but it has the same sort of texture as a wart would on a human.

It is whitish. I managed to take a photo but not a good quality. For some reason I cannot upload it?

Strange it gives me the option to remove it but it does not appear here?
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 9:13
Re: One of my platies is not well! #5
It does sound like lymphocystis.....sometimes known as cauliflower disease because the lumps look like caulis.

It's caused by a virus which lies dormant and is then triggered by any kind of stress - water quality issues, change in parameters, inappropriate tank size or tank mates and simple transport stress which is the most likely trigger in this case.

Unfortunately it's untreatable, but usually not fatal in and of itself. As the fish settles in the lumps may either disappear or enlarge and burst. The main things you can do are ensure good clean water, good food and minimise stress which will help persuade it into remission. Watch for any secondary bacterial infection which could arise and treat as soon as it appears.

The fish will remain infected though most of the time in good conditions will be asymptomatic and the chances are strong that any others from the same stock are also infected.

EDIT: Regarding pic - if using the upload dialog at the bottom of a new post pic must be under 2Mb, less than 1000 pixels wide and only one can be attached per post - may help!
mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 9:24
Re: One of my platies is not well! #6
Thanks Fishlady,
I looked at pictures of the disease and it looks remarkably similar. It is staying very hidden away and is very lethargic.

Does the disease initially make them listless?? Another thing I cannot understand is that I check my fish and count them daily and normally several times. Does it just appear all of a sudden? Otherwise I must simply have missed it.
Resized Image
mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 9:51
Re: One of my platies is not well! #7
Hi,
If it is lymphocystis....should I isolate it??

From what I understand,and that is very little indeed, they do not normally become sick do they??

I just wish I could upload the picture. I have reduced the size to 100 pixels wide and only 12kb.

The picture manager is not working for me at the moment.
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 10:18
Re: One of my platies is not well! #8
The growths can appear quite suddenly, yes. It's possible given the lethargy that the fish is also affected internally as the virus can cause similar growths on some of the internal organs. If you can get a picture it will help as it's not absolutely certain to be lymphocystis. In the early stages of some other conditions it can look vaguely similar, but the only absolutely sure way to diagnose this (unless the symptoms are very clear) is via a microscopic examination of a skin scrape by a vet. That would be expensive, and there is no treatment anyway.

If you can isolate the fish in a quarantine tank it is probably a good idea to do so and use a strong anti-bacterial/anti-fungal medication such as eSHa 2000. That will clear up most of the similar conditions that can be confused with lymphocystis in the very early stages. If the fish has lymphocystis internally then euthanasia will be the kindest option as internal infections with this virus tend to be fatal.
mervyn mervyn
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 10:36
Re: One of my platies is not well! #9
Hi Fishlady,
I have a photo but I just cannot get it uploaded! The picture manager keeps coming up with "Server Error" And I have a reduced sized pic also at 100 pixels wide and only 12kb but no joy there either.

I would love to know what it is before I do anything as I have not got an isolation tank as yet.

I am awaiting a visit from the Diabetes Nurse at the moment (she could come anytime) then I will see if my lfs has some of the medicine you allude to.

Thanks again.
Resized Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 30/11/2012 10:42
Re: One of my platies is not well! #10
Just going to try to attach a pic to this post as a test.