amir amir
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 27/11/2012 17:41
need urgent help...parrotfish female convect male babies are ill and seem to b deing.. #1
i have one month old babies of parrotfis breeded with convect male and itoday i saw 8 to 10 babies seem not well they fell down at the bottom and looks like in the way that they will b died i noticed that the heater was off and temperature falls up to 20 C (68 F) i put on it 5 hours before now tempertaure is 28 C(82 F) but babbies are no recovring... what should i do??? and i am not introducing fresh water because of my previous experience with water change babbies deis frequently... these two main problems are infront of me which may case thier bad illness plz suggest me as fast as u can so i can save them...
Judgegeo Judgegeo
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 27/11/2012 19:19
Re: need urgent help...parrotfish female convect male babies are ill and seem to b deing.. #2
I assume you mean they are a hybrid of parrot fish and convicts.. hydrids are frowned upon and are usually disposed of, not kept.
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 27/11/2012 21:08
Re: need urgent help...parrotfish female convect male babies are ill and seem to b deing.. #3
What size of tank are they in and whats your maintenance routine? Its concerning that you think water changes are killing the fry.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 27/11/2012 22:09
Re: need urgent help...parrotfish female convect male babies are ill and seem to b deing.. #4
Quote:

Judgegeo wrote:
I assume you mean they are a hybrid of parrot fish and convicts.. hydrids are frowned upon and are usually disposed of, not kept.

Hybrids are generally frowned on, but unfortunately one of the most popular hybrids is the Blood Parrot and sadly there is a demand for them. The males are often infertile and those that choose to breed them have to back cross to one of the ancestor species to produce any young. Convicts are often used for this as there's usually Convict Cichlid in Blood Parrot ancestry.

I wouldn't advise breeding more of these fish as they are very badly compromised by their hybrid genetics, but as the OP has fry already and they are struggling that's the main concern.

The drop in temperature followed by a rapid rise will no doubt have contributed to their problems, but like Onyxia I am concerned that there are underlying water quality issues due to lack of water changes. What are your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What size is the tank and what fish are in the tank? How often are you changing any water?
amir amir
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Posted on: 28/11/2012 17:00
Re: need urgent help...parrotfish female convect male babies are ill and seem to b deing.. #5
i usally do 20% water change with another tang after a week or two week.. i have ut amonia controler in the tang... it was a sudden incidet happened yesterday that they start geting sick.. and round about 6 fry died yesterday night and to i have observed that no more get sick.. and many people suggest not to breed parrot with convict but i am lover of prrotfish and want my parrotfish keep breeding.. can you tell me and other fish for breeding??? or can i use these fry for breeding with parrotfish in future?? and the size of my tank is 3*1 foot...
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/11/2012 19:10
Re: need urgent help...parrotfish female convect male babies are ill and seem to b deing.. #6
The problem isn't with using Convicts it's the breeding of these fish at all. Their health and temperament are compromised because of them being hybrids. We would advise they not be bred at all, but for those that wish to breed them it makes no difference which of the original hybridising species are used when back-crossing. You may be able to use the fry for breeding but it depends on whether you have any fertile males - occasionally fertile male Parrots do arise, though most are sterile.

Water changes in a normal community tank should be 25% weekly. In tanks for raising fry this often needs to be daily. The water used should be fresh water, not water from another tank. The point of changing water is to reduce toxins, remove hormones and growth inhibitors and replenish minerals so only fresh water will do that.

Your tank is too small for Parrots - they need at least 4ft x 18" x 18" and 250 litres and that would be for only a pair really. With fry growing too (and possibly other fish) in combination with inadequate water changes you will have a lot of fry deaths and those that survive will not grow properly. Our caresheet explains their requirements, and explains why these fish are not considered a good idea.
amir amir
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Posted on: 3/12/2012 17:58
Re: need urgent help...parrotfish female convect male babies are ill and seem to b deing.. #7
thnx from this article i came to know that they have health problem.. which is the basic issue in breeding parrotfish with convict..
one more thing i want to discuss here now i am changing water through tap water but i am not using anti chlorine instead of that i keep water in in open air for 18 to 24 hours and then introduce in my tang... secondly i am using methyl blue in fresh water before pouring it in tang to kill harmful bacteria is this way is correct??
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 3/12/2012 19:05
Re: need urgent help...parrotfish female convect male babies are ill and seem to b deing.. #8
It takes at least 24 hours for chlorine to evaporate. Check whether your supplier also uses chloramine. If they do, you will need to use a dechlorinator product as chloramine will not evaporate. You should consider using a tap water conditioner anyway as most do more than just remove chlorine; they also detoxify metals in the water which can be toxic to fish.

You must not use methylene blue as it will kill your filter bacteria. This means that you have an uncycled tank which will accumulate ammonia and nitrite. The adult fish may have developed some tolerance over time to the levels accumulating between water changes, but their health will be severely compromised by this. Young fry are very susceptible to the effects of ammonia and nitrite and this is probably a factor in their failing to thrive.