Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/11/2012 19:40
Tank mate ideas #1
Evening all.
I've had a nasty bout of disease in the tank and numbers are radically depleted. I'm going to leave it a while and do plenty of water changes in between, but will eventually be looking to increase numbers a bit.
Fishlady, back when you were still known as Noodle you gave me some great suggestions of other possible fish.
I am waiting for an API gh/kh test kit, but I know ph is 8 and Thames Water tells me we have a dGh of 14.8.
At the moment we are down to three danios (seeing these guys through to the end and won't replace). Also down to three platys and would like to top these up, and six guppies.
Tank is 115l after gravel etc and has been going for year and a half.
I love dwarf gouramis, bumblebee gobies and killifish. Would quite like a pair of fish to make a feature of between the platys and guppies.
So while I am waiting for certain dgh results, could anyone point me in the direction of fish to investigate, particularly killifish? I'm finding it tricky to get specific info, more of an overview on the web that I've found!
Thanks all x
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/11/2012 20:09
Re: Tank mate ideas #2
Bumble Bee Gobies aren't good in a community, Dwarf Gourami won't like your pH unfortunately and have a tendency to be quite sickly these days. I can't think of a Killi offhand that can take your water apart from the Florida Flag Fish - but they're bad tempered so-and-so's so I wouldn't recommend them.

How long is the tank? If it's a 3ft, you could have a pair/trio of Pearl Gouramis Trichopodus leeri or better suited to your water a pair of Three-Spot Gouramis Trichopodus trichopterus(which has variants known as Blue Gourami, Gold Gourami, Opaline Gourami, Cosby Gourami).

It'll be easier to suggest fish when you have actual water results though so there may well be more options.
Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/11/2012 20:57
Re: Tank mate ideas #3
As always, that's great thank you FL.
Will report back when I have some certain results... x
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/11/2012 11:09
Re: Tank mate ideas #4
Blue-Finned Killies Lucania goodei are less aggressive than American Flag Fish, and are found in similar habitats, and there are a couple of brackish/marine US natives (the "Rainwater Killie" won't tolerate rainwater, and likes it salty! Just goes to show how useless common names are).

The only problem is that those and the AFFs are not true tropicals but will much prefer a tank that changes temperature with the seasons - its one reason why AFFs are aggressive, in a tropical tank its summer all the time and they're constantly in breeding mode. Mine are defintely much more relaxed now its a bit cooler.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!