hi there i am brand new to this forum am looking for some help with my tank. all the water has gone cloudy very suddenly. also one of the fish is getting chased round the tank by the others and then just floating on the top. i have attached a couple of pics. any help appreciated
Can you give us some more details please so we can advise?
Tanks size in litres or UK gallons or dimensions Filtration used How long has the tank been running? What livestock do you have? - list species and numbers of each How often do you do a partial water change and how much each time? Current test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
yes sorry it is a 90l aquastyle 620 i just use the filtration that is on top of the tank that came with it.
i have had the tank for roughly 9 months although about a month ago my partners dad thought he would be helpful and completely empty the tank, clean it out and then fill it up again. there are 2 goldfish, 3 fantails a shubumkin and a weather loach. i havnt recently had the water tested but am gonna pick up a testing kit on my way home tonight
Unfortunately you have a number of problems. The immediate issue is that the recent total clean out will have destroyed all the "good bacteria" that have grown in the tank/filter to process fish waste into a safer form. This is why the water is cloudy - it's a bacterial bloom. This means at the moment the water will be high in toxins (ammonia and nitrite) which is what is making the fish ill.
You need to take immediate action to save them from pain, sickness and possible death by following the instructions in this guide. You will need to buy a quality liquid-based test kit to monitor conditions in the tank, (don't buy test strips as they aren't accurate enough in this situation). We recommend the API Fresh Water Master Test Kit. This will involve daily testing and partial water changes for some time - up to 6 weeks or so.
A further issue is that the tank is much too small and filtration inadequate for the fish you have. This article explains the needs of Goldfish for large, well-filtered tanks, but basically it means for the fish you have you need at least a 500 litre tank To be honest the Shubunkin and common goldfish would do better in a pond if you can find someone who will take them, but they can't go now 'til next spring as it's too cold.
The three fancies would then need a tank around 240 litres and 3-4 feet long. The Weather Loach could do with some companions of his own species, but that would need to be delayed until you have a big enough tank and the Commons and Shub have been rehomed. Weather Loaches need big tanks - 300 litres 4feet long , so if you keep him plus a couple of pals and the three fantails that's the size of tank you'll need. We have a care sheet for Weather Loaches here.
thanks for the help i assumed that was what has happened to the tank. it is a tank that we have inherited to be honest so will speak nicely to someone with a pond and get them put into there. then i shall invest in a bigger tank and get the fish moved into there after its been properly cycled. would i be ok moving them all into the new tank at once or would i be best doing it gradually?
If you follow the guide I linked to, eventually the tank will be cycled again and hopefully the fish will come through OK. At that point the sponges and other media in the filter will have a good number of beneficial bacteria. When you get the new tank, have it all set up ready to go and them take all the filter media from the current filter and put it in the new filter on the new tank. That will transfer the bacteria and mean you can move all the fish straight over as they will have the same amount of bacteria as before, but much more water and space which they will love. with a bigger tank and fewer fish you should find maintenance easier too
If you've any questions, please ask and we'll try to help.
Well i have done the water tests the ph and ammonia levels were ok but the nitrite and nitrate levels were through the roof. am i right in thinking that my real plants Will help reduce these levels?? Also is doing the daily water change still the best way to sort the water problem
Nitrite is highly toxic and any level at all showing in the water is dangerous. Nitrate is less toxic but should be kept below 40ppm, even then some fancy Goldfish suffer ill-efects and need it held below 20ppm.
Water changes are the only answer unfortunately. If levels are very high, then you may need to do several 25% changes a few hours apart initially to get the level anything like acceptable.
A small amount (under 0.5ppmof nitrite needs to remain though so that the bacteria that process it can establish themselves. You can protect the fish from some of the effects of this by using Seachem Prime in a double dose at each daily water change.