Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 18:50
Columnaris??? #1
Hi everyone,
Am looking for a bit of help with a diagnosis for what I fear is columnaris!
I recall reading somewhere on here some time ago that it is quite rare, so hopefully I've jumped the gun here.
Since adding two new inhabitants on Saturday we have had a couple of problems. Immediately no problem, until Sunday afternoon noticed one of the two newbies had developed a white "growth" on his lip. Rather than a dot or fluff, looked like a little skin tag almost. Smooth and longer than a spot. Monday afternoon noticed that one of the platys had white "fluff" over mouth and top lip appeared to have been slightly decayed back. Immediately dosed with Esha 2000.
This morning the second platy had died, though the fish I assume had brought the infection in to the tank seemed much better, with the little growth down to almost nothing. One of the danios who was quite elderly and hadn't looked great before this, has also died today- I guess this tipped him over the edge.
I *think* that one of the guppies has ragged tail fin, but unsure if this is related...

Size of tank 130l

What filter do you use?standard internal, noodles, two densities of foam.

How long has the tank been set up? about a year and a half

When was the last water change and how much did you change? Sunday just gone, changed 25%

A list of all the inhabitants? Four danios (am letting them slowly phase out- was five until today), one golden apple snail, six platys, six guppies.

When did you last add fish, plants, ornaments or other tank equipment? Two platys added Saturday afternoon.

Have you added any medication? Added appropriate amount for tank yesterday and today of Esha 2000

Photo and test results on the way...
Very grateful for any thoughts...
Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 19:17
Re: Columnaris??? #2
Excuse poor quality. This is almost a rectangular notch out of a guppy tail. Unsure if this is related as the guppies seem otherwise unaffected.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.94 KB)
13303_50a29cccf2276.jpg 404X294 px
Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 19:18
Re: Columnaris??? #3
An almost identical notch out of the guppy tails.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.95 KB)
13303_50a29d04cd1b7.jpg 496X403 px
Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 19:28
Re: Columnaris??? #4
Test results are in:

PH: 8.0-8.2 (somewhere in between it appears)
Ammonia: 0ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
NitrAte: 5ppm

The little growth is completely gone from lip of original fish that I thought was infected, and didn't think to take one of the platy's lip that went white.
The danio that died had no obvious symptoms.

Hope that's enough to start with.
Have in the cupboard:
Esha 2000
Melafix
Myaxzin
Protozin if these are of any use...

Thanks everyone!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 19:53
Re: Columnaris??? #5
It does look like a flexibacter infection as the mouth lesion/white lips you mentioned fit with that and it can also manifest as a form of fin rot. The Guppy tails do appear to be infected with a fin rot bacterium as the edges of the damaged areas and some of the other edges seem to have a whiteness to them.

eSHa 2000 would be my personal choice as a medication for this. Run a full course as directed and look for signs of improvement. If the symptoms are reducing stop treatment there. If there's any worsening, or little to no improvement continue the lower dose (as used on days 2 and 3) for a further 2-3 days.

Make sure any carbon is removed from the filter before starting treatment. Also, which dechlorinator do you use as you'll need to do a water change before starting and some can affect meds?
Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 20:01
Re: Columnaris??? #6
Thanks very much for reply FL.
So Flexibacter would mean a form of columnaris- but you seem hopeful this is treatable? I hope we have caught in time.
We use Prime and did a water change before we started the treatment on Monday. Would Prime affect the effectiveness of Esha, Fishlady?
Is it worth also buying some Esha Exit, or would this be irrelevant?
Thanks again FL
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 20:09
Re: Columnaris??? #7
Good that you used Prime as it's one of the few that has no ill-effect on meds.

I don't think it's columnaris, but one of the milder flexibacter species' hopefully. eSHa 2000 will probably clear it up, though it may take an extended course rather than the standard three day treatment. No guarantees though, just my opinion

There's no need to buy Exit at this time as it is a treatment for protozoon infections - white spot, velvet and so on which are parasitic not bacterial.
Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 20:18
Re: Columnaris??? #8
Ah that's good to hear, this is not like anything I've dealt with before. Your opinion makes me feel a little more optimistic.
very grateful for your help though FL. This is day 2 of treatment, so will reassess tomorrow.
Thanks again!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 13/11/2012 20:26
Re: Columnaris??? #9
FX for them. Let us know how they get on.
Mixtapes Mixtapes
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From London
  • Posted on: 15/11/2012 18:40
Re: Columnaris??? #10
Hello again, I'm back with some sad news.
The two introduced platys, despite having appeared to have lost their symptoms, have died.
When I got home yesterday they both had their mouths completely fused shut with white stuff. The smaller one was floating upside down, though still swimming, and passed very quickly. The larger one held on for a while but did also pass away last night. Very upsetting, poor little things. Really hoping no others will succumb.
The guppies and original platys all *appear* fine at the moment. One platy perhaps a little wobbly.
The guppies who had tails with small chunk missing seem fine though.
I'm thinking to continue the half dose for another two days as FL suggested as I'm keeping an eye on the wobbly platy.
Do you have any words of advice at all advisors?
Thank you as always