Capey Capey
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cumbria
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 6/11/2012 20:38
Suggestions for new plants. #1
Hi everyone,

Ive been away for a while, moving home, holidays etc and I took my aqaurium apart. Fish were re homed and its been empty for about 4 months.

This weekend I am setting it up again

Starting the 6 week cycle too so hopefully get fish in by xmas.

I had Amazon Sword in my last set up, but Im looking for new ideas, a few different ones.

But, I wont be dosing with CO2, they will just be getting a liquid fertiliser, the under gravel tablets and the lights, 2 Juwel T5's in a Rio 180.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/11/2012 20:46
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #2
Hi

Welcome back

What's the water like in the new place and what fish are you hoping to keep? That info will help with choosing suitable plants
Capey Capey
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cumbria
  • Posted on: 6/11/2012 21:04
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #3
Damn, I havent tested the tap water yet. I am guessing its going to be pretty much the same as I have only moved 2 mile away and its the same water supply, I could be wrong though.

I've been looking at some CO2 systems, but I don't know if it's going to be a lot of work, and more importantly, more to go wrong lol.

In my last set up I had, harlequins, cherry barbs, dwarf gourami and julii cory.

Would you recommend adding some sand to the substrate? I only had gravel last time and the barbells on the cory's wore down and they all died
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 6/11/2012 21:34
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #4
If you want Cories sand is the only way to go - for just the reasons you've mentioned

I wouldn't use CO2 unless you also intend using uprated lighting - with standard lighting it shouldn't be needed.

If your looking at similar stock to last time then without CO2 you could set up using some of the less demanding plants. All would appreciate Vallis, Java Ferns and Java Moss and the Gourami in particular would like some floating plants for cover. I'm using Amazon Frogbit for cover in my shrimp tank and it does well with no special additions to the water. Many of the crypts do fine without CO2, too. Just put root tabs under the root feeders and maybe use a weekly general plant fertiliser for the floating plants - Seachem Flourish or similar.
Capey Capey
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cumbria
  • Posted on: 6/11/2012 21:40
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #5
Thank you.

What is the best type of sand to use? I have heard people mention play sand??

I was thinking of doing half and half sand and gravel, one side gravel, one side sand. Would that work?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 6/11/2012 21:43
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #6
Play sand is fine and very cheap. Needs a very good wash, and will need regular stirring to prevent it compacting and producing toxic gases. Malaysian Trumpet Snails are a good addition in tanks with sand as they burrow through it and keep it aerated. If you want any let me know as I always have some spare - free snails, just pay p&p

You can have half and half sand and gravel , but will need to use something to actually separate the two areas otherwise it won't take long for them to end up mixed together.
Capey Capey
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cumbria
  • Posted on: 7/11/2012 22:18
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #7
Think ill take you up on the free snails . Once it's all set up.

What is the best type of sand to buy? I don't want play sand. I want some nice white sand
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 7/11/2012 23:09
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #8
You'll need a good soft sand and something inert that won't raise your pH as you want to stock Cories and other soft water fish. Be careful as often white sand will be high in carbonates and push the pH. Also white sand shows every speck of dirt and grows algae rather well

This should do the job. Not cheap compared to play sand, but is a good make and claims not to affect pH.

When you're ready for the MTS just let me know.
Capey Capey
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Cumbria
  • Posted on: 9/11/2012 12:19
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #9
That's a bit too white for me lol.

What about Unipac Silver Sand?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/11/2012 12:29
Re: Suggestions for new plants. #10
It would be way too white for me too - sorry, took you literally

The Unipac sands are generally very good and are inert so any of those should be fine. Any fine sand will need regular stirring/MTS to avoid compaction though.