Adustybin Adustybin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 2/11/2012 21:30
Want to double check which fry I have #1
Hi all,

I am new here, as well as being fairly new to fish keeping (had two Orandas for past three years and have now added a few friends for them). I am trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can.

I have a single remaining fry that I have moved to a seperate tank (accidentely hoovered him up when I was doing a water change after I though all of the fry had been gobbled). I assumed he was a platy as I have a female platy that was very pregnant when I got her (a couple of weeks ago). She has a very large gravid spot and swollen belly, last Saturday morning she looked a little slimmer, though the gravid spot was still the same size(ish). I was not sure if she had given birth, but I did notice several very small black fry that looked more like tadpoles than fish, and so I therefore assumed she must have had them. However, it is one week later and she is looking very big and her belly looks a bit more boxy shaped so I am not sure if she is about to have her fry now (or maybe some more?).

There is only one other female platy and she is not showing (and has not shown) any signs of pregnancy at all. The other options are that I also have 6 danios (3 Zebra and 3 Leopard) and 5 cloud mountain minnows. COuld the fry be one of these? I am worried as I have been putting liquifry No 2 in to feed it (alternating with fine crushed flake food and small crushed amounts of algea wafer). If he is a Danio or Minnow I believe he should be having liquifry No 1, I am not sure how much of a difference it makes and I just want to do the best for him.

I have attached pics of the fry and the platy that I think is still pregnant though they are not great quality. I may try with my macro lens tommorow and see if I can get better images.

Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Zoe
Adustybin Adustybin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Sussex
  • Posted on: 2/11/2012 21:35
Re: Want to double check which fry I have #2
Not sure what I am doing wrong, I can't seem to upload the images. Help!
Adustybin Adustybin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Sussex
  • Posted on: 2/11/2012 21:50
Re: Want to double check which fry I have #3
Original Image
Original Image
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/11/2012 22:06
Re: Want to double check which fry I have #4
It's almost certainly a Platy baby. The others are egg laying fish and in a community tank either the eggs would be eaten before they could hatch or the fry would be eaten at the "wriggler" stage when still attached to their yolk sacs and unable to swim. Platy females can be inseminated multiple times and be more or less permanently pregnant giving birth repeatedly over a long period.

EDIT: Here's a link to pics of Platy fry so you can compare
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 2/11/2012 22:12
Re: Want to double check which fry I have #5
I just ought to add that it's not a good idea to keep smaller fish with Orandas. They can be extremely irritating to the slower moving goldies, beat them to food a lot of the time, and in some cases may end up as lunch when the Orandas get bigger; though at 3 years yours must be pretty much fully grown by now. An eight inch Oranda can probably manage to eat Danios and Minnows if he can catch them.
Adustybin Adustybin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Sussex
  • Posted on: 2/11/2012 22:14
Re: Want to double check which fry I have #6
Thanks for that, Fishlady. I thought it must be a Platy. The 'wrigglers' were lodged under a piece of bog-wood and all disappeared back underneath pretty quick when it was moved. It was a couple of days later that I noticed them swimming in the plant on top of the bog-wood.

That is such a relief. At least I know it is getting the correct food. I was just getting worried as mummy Platy seems to be getting boxy shaped again like she did last Friday night. If she had them last week there can be no chance of more yet.

Out of interest, how quick should it grow? As it doesn't seem to have grown at all (I know, it is just one week!).
Adustybin Adustybin
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Sussex
  • Posted on: 2/11/2012 22:22
Re: Want to double check which fry I have #7
My two Orandas are probably only about 3" long (excluding their tails). To be honest I didn't know anything about fish when I got them, otherwise I would never have brought them (kept them in way too small a tank for too long and had to nurse them back to health as we nearly lost them at a year and a half). Since the move to the new tank and adding the new friends they have become livelier and happier than I have ever seen them. The other fish are too big to fit in their mouths thank fully, but I think they think they are Danios bless them.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 2/11/2012 22:23
Re: Want to double check which fry I have #8
Fry growth rates for any species are dependent on many environmental factors. Frequent water changes always makes fry grow faster as does plenty of water volume per baby and the amount and kind of food. A week old Platy should take crushed flake which will promote growth better than liquifry at this stage. Best growth is achieved with high quality small live foods - newly hatched baby brine-shrimp seem to b the best for good growth in many young fish. Feeding should be small amounts very frequently - 4 or more feeds a day, and a daily partial water change to hoover up left overs and keep water quality at its best will really help.