lydslikestea lydslikestea
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/10/2012 17:48
Caudopunctatus cichlids #1
Hello cichliders,

I've got a 70L tank that's now cycled and ready for fish. I live in East London and have typical liquid chalk water with high PH (7.6 straight out of tap, 8 - 24hrs later). GH and KH tests are arriving from ebay so will post them when I can.

I went window shopping at LFS today and fell in love with the caudopunctatus cichlids. First off they are dead cool, being called punks with their yellow mohawks and bright blue eyes. The fish-shop guy said they would be happy in my tank, but naturally I wanted a second opinion from you guys.

I'm happy to have a species tank for the time being, I know mines a bit small for lots of fish and will be upgrading tanks (and house) when I move in a year or two.

If you guys have any pointers on whether these are good fish to have and the kind of care they need. If they can live with others, what size group to get, etc.

Thanks in advance
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 28/10/2012 18:08
Re: Caudopunctatus cichlids #2
Hi

Caudopunks are a tad too large for your tank unless you can get hold of a matched male:female pair, but there are other Tanganyikan cichlids that would suit OK. Have a look at the shell dwelling species'. Neolamprologus multifasciatus are fantastic little fish who will create a multi-generational colony vey quickly. Others that may suit are Neolamprologus ocellatus, Neolamprologus brevis and a few others.

I have Ocellatus Gold in a tank that size along with some juvenile Julidochromis transcriptus, but they'll be moving to a bigger tank as they mature as the 70L is only really big enough for one species of Tang long term due to their aggression.

Here's one of my Occies by his shell:

Original Image
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/10/2012 18:18
Re: Caudopunctatus cichlids #3
If you fancy multies I can give you some for a Xmas present (I have plenty of juveniles but I like to know who they are going to!)
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 8/12/2012 20:18
Re: Caudopunctatus cichlids #4
Hello again and thanks for your replies.
After a little hic-up in cycling, my tank is now finally ready!

My boyfriend is dead set on getting some caudopunks - if we get a matched pair, what others can we get as well?

On our list are:
- a bottom feeder/algae muncher - is there lake tang one?
- something surface dwelling

Q: can we get also shell dwelling (multis) - do they mix with caudopunks?

We won't have all three + punks (as tank is too small) - I just want to know what goes well with a pair of punks.

Tank is 70L (for time being, am upgrading to bigger tank next year/2014 when we move)

Thanks in advance
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 8/12/2012 22:15
Re: Caudopunctatus cichlids #5
If you're dead set on the punks they'll need to be the only fish in such a small tank. You may struggle to find a pair. Often the only way to get a pairing is to start with six or so juveniles and wait for them to pair up, then return the spares.

There are no typical algae eaters from the lake and the bottom feeding fish are all too big for your tank. Again, with a pair of punks the tank is too small for any companions to keep out of the way when the pair start breeding.
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 10/12/2012 11:07
Re: Caudopunctatus cichlids #6
thanks fishlady for your response.
I checked at LFS and they would be happy to take back any 'spares' when the punks pair up.
Have put this to the boy and he suggested we get a bigger tank! HA! Will start with some juvi punks and see how we go.
Thanks for advice all
Lx
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 14/12/2012 22:08
Re: Caudopunctatus cichlids #7
Hi all,

We are now the proud owners of 4 caudopunctatus - we suspect we've got 1 male and 3 females as we picked 1 bigger one and 3 small ones. We'll see if they pair up. How long does that take? They are all juveniles (3x1.5", bigger one is 2.5" i think - hard to measure accurately!)

They've been in 4 days now and have settled down and seem to be friends. They're lively and really interesting to watch, especially at feeding time

Water conditions are steady.. ammonia, nitrite all zero (thank goodness for fishless cycling, leads to stress-free fish keeping!)

And now I'm naturally thinking about a bigger tank to get some tank mates

Fishlady - I noticed you recommended Synodontis lucipinnis to someone else. They look awesome and only grow to 4". It seems they come from Lake Tang also, will they like caudopunks? I'm thinking I'll upgrade to a 4ft tank and build a lake tang community tank (current tank is 2'2" or 70L)

I also love these guys
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... sheet.php?caresheetID=185

Oh the excitement!

Will post pics in a bit of current set up x

thanks all for your help
x
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 14/12/2012 22:54
Re: Caudopunctatus cichlids #8
Dwarf Synos (S. lucippinis) will get on OK with Caudopunks when you have a bigger tank. They need to be kept as a group of at least four and stocking them will mean you may see no fry from your punks as the Synos will raid their nests at night. Be aware that a lot of the UK tank bred stock of these is not pure, but hybrid - though some stockists have wild caught Synos at a price!

If you like Julidochromis regani you'll probably like the ones I have: Julidochromis transcriptus. Care sheet here on SF, and this is a pic of one of mine:

Original Image
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From London
  • Posted on: 15/12/2012 17:21
Re: Caudopunctatus cichlids #9
wow. they look beautiful - a fab photo too

do you have pics of your whole set up fishlady?

edit: just had a peek at your profile. Amazing! And so many! Love the black sand in your 70L...

lx