snooki7 snooki7
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 20/10/2012 1:11
black moor living on peas! help ! #1
Hey all
Im new to this site and i need some guidance with my black moor.

My fish has suffered with early signs of what i thought, swim bladder disease.

I found the peas to be helpful but now have a ongoing problem.

If i feed him a pea every other day he is fine, however if i give a small amount of blood worms or wet mashed up flakes he immediately starts swimming upside down.

My question is, is feeding my black moor a pea every other day emough diet wise? I cant imagine is it but i reallly dont want to feed him anything else as the upside down floatin worrys me! I gave him some blood worms today, then upside down floating started, gave him a pea and hes slowly gone back to normal.

I have done a 20% water change, put the temp up slighty, all levels are normal apart from general hardness but as i live in a hard water area this is difficult to overcome.

Hes a happy fish, during the night he rests at the bottim of the tank, very responsive if any lights turned or if i go near the tank.

I have the interpet swd stuff and i think its called equilibrim salt, however i mixed the stuff up but got do confused with the measurements i didnt want to put it in his tank incase it was too much and killed him, also i read that when using swd stuff you have to take your filter out of the tank whivh worries me as this is his main oxygen supply.

Id be grateful for any advice, so worried about him :( i keep checking on him in the middle of the night just incase :(

Thank you

Lj
snooki7 snooki7
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 20/10/2012 1:32
Re: black moor living on peas! help ! #2
Just saw a previous msg about tank info.

His tank is a 14litre marina starter squarium with a marina internal filter which i change every 4/5 weeks.

Idont have gravel, a few blue flat marbles, two live oxygen plants and a bubble wall which i have on during the day only plus a thermometer
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/10/2012 9:23
Re: black moor living on peas! help ! #3
Hi

Unfortunately your fish's problems are down to poor water quality and too small a tank. If you haven't had the tank long it will also not be "cycled". This means toxins from his own waste are poisoning him and causing the symptoms you're seeing.

Even if the cycle is established, the small tank and low powered filter cannot cope with a Goldfish's output and at the very least nitrates will be very high - a classic cause of floatiness and apparent "swim bladder problems".

Unfortunately the only solution is a much larger tank. This article explains what they need, but fancy goldies need at least a 3ft long 140 litre tank for just one, and 40 litres more for every extra goldfish, plus very powerful filtration.
snooki7 snooki7
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hertfordshire
  • Posted on: 20/10/2012 18:52
Re: black moor living on peas! help ! #4
Thankyou i will buy a new tank tomorrow. I have done two nitrate tests and they are 'ideal'. Hopefully a new tank will sort this out. Thank you
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 28/10/2012 19:25
Re: black moor living on peas! help ! #5
Did you get your new tank? How is your fish now?
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
aquarius-sue aquarius-sue
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Leicestershire
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users
  • Posted on: 28/10/2012 22:47
Re: black moor living on peas! help ! #6
Hi ,
Swim bladder is mostly caused by overfeeding causing constipation which is why peas are fed but can also be caused by intestinal parasites
fancy goldfish suffer with this mostly but recently i have just lost a female tropical platty who was fed peas but unfortunately never got any better, im sure it was my own doing by overfeeding
hope this helps and good luck