Scooby74 Scooby74
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Isle of Wight
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/10/2012 19:47
Cracked tank #1
Hi I brought a second hand 5ft x 2ft x2ft complete marine set up managed to move every thing fine from old house but dropped the tank when got home, one corner of the tank has now chipped and has a crack in a semi circle on the main base the glass base inside the tank shows no signs of damage

I have ordered a bit 10mm glass 2ft x 1.5ft which we intended to seal inside the base of the tank using aquarium sealant to cover the damaged areas .

Has anyone done this before or would you advise totally against this and wright off the tank

Look forward to comments and any hints and tips would be so welcomed
CurmudgeonlyOldMan CurmudgeonlyOldMan
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 8/10/2012 20:02
Re: Cracked tank #2
Do you have a photo so we have a better idea of what we are advising on Scooby. Thanks.

I have done it before by spreading silicone over the whole area affected, along the edges and pressing down to get rid of any air bubbles. Then running abead all around the top edges just to make sure.

I would also make a cover made of plastic for the corner area affected as well and fill it with silicone and push it into place just to make sure. This cover needs to be at least twice the size of the chip. Then if possible put that at the back.
[url=injaf.org/the-big-fish-campaign/][img align=right]http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/uploa
Scooby74 Scooby74
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Isle of Wight
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/10/2012 20:13
Re: Cracked tank #3
Thanks it's more of a chunk out corner I will add some pictures tomorrow