• Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 17/9/2012 15:08
New filter query! #1
Hi all!

Firstly, I'm new, be kind :)

Im just after some advice with my new filter. I own a 3ft by 1ft tank which has been up and running around 2-3 weeks now, so should be a relatively happy tank. I have 3 4" goldfish who are also happy, havent had any problems with them.

I had a smaller tank with them in previously, but decided to uprgade to this big tank, so of course I used the old filter to keep the friendly bacteria in cycle. However because it was a bigger tank I also added another small filter (I did the fishless cycle with it etc etc before adding fish)

Anyways, long story short I have now purchased a BIG filter to replace the two smaller ones (a lot less noise and effort I figured). Im cycling it alopngside the other two for now so it can get used to the tank (as it was brand new) but Im now having new fears that it may be too powerful for the tank! I know goldfish arent fans of fast flowing water! The new filter is a Fluval 4plus, so is a bit of overcompensation for the tank but I got it rather cheap!

Ive attached pics of how gushy it is!

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae ... irll/2012-09-17143643.jpg

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae ... irll/2012-09-17143710.jpg

http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae ... rent=2012-09-17143619.mp4

My fish seem happy enough with it, they dont seem distressed but I thought Id double check.. In a very rambly fashion.

Many thanks in advance,
Clare :)
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/9/2012 17:34
Re: New filter query! #2
You should be able to turn the flow down on the filter, the blue lever on the front should control the flow. (I've not used that particular filter, but most internals are pretty similar).

However, I have some bad news for you. Your fish will need a much bigger tank. Common Goldfish (which you have, and which won't mind the flow that much as they're pretty strong swimmers compared to Fancy Goldfish) grow to about a foot long. You will need a 300L+ tank for the three you have, but a pond would be better. They're small, so they should be OK in the current tank for a little while longer, but I'm afraid another upgrade will be necessary in the near future.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
*_clare_* *_clare_*
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 17/9/2012 18:34
Re: New filter query! #3
Thanks for the reply :)

The filter is already on its lowest flow, but still seems pretty strong! The fish seem happy enough so until I see a change in their behaviour I think its not harming them! Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

Yeahh, I know they will need a bigger one soon! It is a 125ltr tank though, I thought that was plenty for now?!
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/9/2012 19:15
Re: New filter query! #4
Mmmm, not really. You have common goldies, so these are suited only to a pond really. These fish put on (or should put on) a massive amount of growth in the first year or so.

FK recommends 180 litres for the first fish if first housed in a tank, then 55 litres per additional fish.

Keeping them in a tank and upgrading when you think they 'need' it is often a problem. Usually the fish will have already started to suffer from stunting.

Good article here:
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... -size-life-expectancy.htm

How old are the fish now?
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 17/9/2012 19:36
Re: New filter query! #5
Sorry, should have mentioned but exclude tail length when measuring the cuties
*_clare_* *_clare_*
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 17/9/2012 20:25
Re: New filter query! #6
I cant say I know how old they are! I rescued one from a fair (the poor guy was in about a cm of water in the hot sun), then the other two from PAH. Theyre about 3-4" including their tails, so however old that makes them I suppose?

Why is it that goldfish, even though theyre teeny now, need so much more space compared to a same size fish, such as ottos or loachs or (baby) plecs? Ive seen tanks full to the brim of goldies and other fishes and its still apparently fine? Or are they just incorrectly stocked?
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 17/9/2012 21:13
Re: New filter query! #7
Clare quoted

Quote:
I cant say I know how old they are! I rescued one from a fair (the poor guy was in about a cm of water in the hot sun

Ok, can't age him really, may be already stunted but a bigger tank may save the day.

Quote:
then the other two from PAH. Theyre about 3-4" including their tails, so however old that makes them I suppose?

Ignore tails. How long have you had them.

If at 3 months or so from housing as babies which is usual, they should already be getting uber chunky by now.

Quote:
Why is it that goldfish, even though they're teeny now, need so much more space compared to a same size fish, such as ottos or loachs or (baby) plecs?

Firstly, different temp, different water quality.

- Ottos only grow to 5cm, the fish you now have by comparison grow to over a foot long or more. Trop so not usually housed with goldfish.
- Loach (what kind) Clowns need a 6 foot tank min for example
- Common plecs - 6 foot too

Fish in shops are just babies.....You Need to be able to keep them long term.
*_clare_* *_clare_*
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Essex
  • Posted on: 17/9/2012 22:05
Re: New filter query! #8
The one I got from the fair i've had around 3 months, then my next goldie from PAH I got a month later, and then my last goldie from PAH I bought about a week ago.. The original two have grown an inch or so since I got them but they all seem to be happy :)

I understand they get big, and I wouldnt ever keep them if I knew it was cruel to, so when the time comes I'd just get a bigger tank or find someone with a pond and sadly say goodbye to my babies..