(1) 2 »
nad03 nad03
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/8/2012 14:56
Multi Magic !! #1
Woke up this morningto do my water tests and for the first time everythingis perfect after 12 hours of dosing.Ammonia 0ppm,Nitrite 0ppm,Nitrate 10ppm.
So off i went to MA Cardiff to look for some shellies...NOTHING. So Decided to call in at my local Bridgend branch on the way home,and guess what...they had Multi's AND Brevis.
So i am now the proud dad of 3 Neolamprologus Multifaciatus . They are roughly two sizes up from a pinhead....they are TINY
Decided against brevis as having a 16 inc cube for a home didn't fancy having to re-home one in a couple of months.
Anywy,really chuffed having waited 8 weeks,even though its 3 hrs after buying them and they still havn't come out of their shells yet.Think thats down to my wife shouting at my 6 year old daughter and my 2 year old son
Will try to put some photos on later but haven't had much luck so far. Any tips ?
Thanks all
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 19/8/2012 16:44
Re: Multi Magic !! #2
Congratulations! Look forward to pics. There's guide here to uploading and displaying photos.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 19/8/2012 17:27
Re: Multi Magic !! #3
Shame, I could have delivered you some multies when I next visit my sister in Cardiff, or you could have got some from OMG who is in S Wales! Hope you enjoy them, they are fascinating little fish they can be quite timid - the more shells you can provide, the more scure they will feel, as they can then always dart for a nearby shell, eben if it's not their chosen one.
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
nad03 nad03
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 19/8/2012 20:18
Re: Multi Magic !! #4
Thanks for the link Fishlady. Cathie,if you'd told me that yesterday i would of bitten your hand off. Never seen them locally before. Couldn't believe it when i walked into Bridgend MA this morning. Two fo the three have made an appearance now.I've got 39 escargo shells in there,so plenty of choice for them.
nad03 nad03
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 20/8/2012 20:14
Re: Multi Magic !! #5
Day two and my multis have been out of their shells for the majority of the day,even if they havn't strayed more than an inch away. How long in general before they start behaving as they do in the wild ? I realise that they need a few days to get use to their new surroundings.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 20/8/2012 20:47
Re: Multi Magic !! #6
With just the three of them they're likely to be shy for a while. You may not see much activity until they start to breed. When that happens and a colony starts to grow they'll be more active and visible - safety in numbers
nad03 nad03
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Mid Glamorgan
  • Posted on: 24/8/2012 18:54
Re: Multi Magic !! #7
The gang are all fine. Just tried to measure them.Their just about an inch long so quite a bit of growing to do. Just done the first water change and their was a lot of uneaten food.I haven't been over feeding but they haven't eaten a lot,partly because they are new and partly because their so small.
Obviously, with just over 50l of water in the tank after displacement,i want to keep things as clean as possible.I always have a fasting day when i have fish but was wondering if i could just feed 5 days a week instead of 6 ?
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 24/8/2012 19:51
Re: Multi Magic !! #8
What are you feeding? You need something small that sinks slowly. I like this, you can crumble it according to the size of the fish, into powder for fry.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 24/8/2012 20:12
Re: Multi Magic !! #9
Food wise I feed my Occies and Julies on Hikari Cichlid Gold Mini and New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula. Both sink slowly and they go mad for the New Life stuff which is tiny granules so may suit your Multies.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Posted on: 25/8/2012 10:25
Re: Multi Magic !! #10
How big are the Hikari mini pellets? One I tried was too big for multies, I had to go down to micro.
It is tricky to feed them while they are still timid, as they will almost only eat food on the way down, it's pretty well ignored once it's landed. You need to perfect a technique of sprinkling it a tiny bit at a time, while barely moving ... It will get much easier!
Have you tried live swimming about daphnia, they love that.