scatty scatty
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 16:38
Syphon help! #1
Hi everyone how are we all? Just after a bit of help with getting a new syphon. I have a rena cube which i love to bits but i have a real problem getting into the back corners to get at the grot thats in the gravel.I can get to it but it does mean a balancing act of me on the step ladder with the bucket beside me on a chair a feat any olympian gymnast would be proud of. The problem i really have is that the tank is nearly 5 foot tall which is as tall as me so i need an extra long one to reach all the corners. Any suggestions? Thanks Lisa
The day you stop caring is the day you should stop keeping any pet whether fur or fins!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 17:02
Re: Syphon help! #2
You can make an extra long one from bits and pieces (I did).

Use an uplift tube for an under-gravel filter for the gravel vac'ing end and connect to a length of external filter hose. Make it long enough to reach to the bucket when the bucket is on the floor. Get a "squeezy bulb" syphon starter if you don't want to suck the tube. Cut the filter tube into two appropriate lengths. Connect the shorter length to the plastic uplift tube at one end and squeezy bulb at the other, then connect the long length of filter hose to the other side of the squeezy bulb. Et voilà, a super long syphon!

You could probably find suitable component parts lying around the house and save some money
scatty scatty
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 18:34
Re: Syphon help! #3
Oh that sounds easy enough not lol. Think a local trip back down the LFS is in order though i can hear my bank manager doing his sharp intake of breath as i always come out with much more than i went in there for
The day you stop caring is the day you should stop keeping any pet whether fur or fins!