aimee aimee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 10:30
Cycling help. #1
Had 2 tanks going for about 2-3 weeks and need some help to understand whats going on.

One 60l with java moss/fern, bog wood and one 15l with java moss, Both with a few beach stoned which were boiled.
I've been using the fish food method and have been adding a bit of finely ground fish food every day.
The ammonia in both tanks has stayed at 1 for about a week and only today is just hinting towards 2, should I add more fish food at each 'feed' to raise the Ammonia or stay as I am and wait for more decay, there is alot of food settled on the floor.
The nitrites have been rising and are both now at 2-5. I also have quite high nitrates I think for so early in the cycle, reading 40 in the larger tank and was reading 10 in the smaller tank although it dipped to 5 today.

Basically am I on the right track?
TetraLinz TetraLinz
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Tyne & Wear
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 10:38
Re: Cycling help. #2
Hi aimee

You're on the right track BUT . . . If you're using the fish food method, the best way to do so is to get a pop sock and add a handful of flakes to it. Tie it in the water near the outflow of the filter/s and leave it there til ammonia reads 2ppm, then remove, allow ammonia to drop a little, and basically repeat with a fresh ammonia ball.

Alternatively, you could try to get bottled ammonia from the cleaning aisle in the likes of Homebase or Boots (IIRC).

The cycle will take forever if you're just adding a bit of food everyday
T.L
Resized Image
aimee aimee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 10:59
Re: Cycling help. #3
Thanks Linz. My local boots doesn't stock it and the bus fare to the nearest hardware shop would be more than the ammonia.
I'm not in any rush and I think by the time the tank is ready I will have just had my student loan so perfect time to buy some fish. Going to fiddle around with a home made CO2 system in the mean time and enjoy watching the plants grow.
Will try out the pop sock method, thank you!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 23/7/2012 12:47
Re: Cycling help. #4
If you can't get ammonia locally, it's available on eBay here, and it is a much more reliable way to cycle successfully.

I'd hold off on trying CO2 while the tank is cycling as it may interfere with the process.