aimee aimee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/7/2012 15:31
A wee little snail. #1
I am cycling a new tank at the moment and recently planted java fern and moss.
I've just noticed the tiniest snail I have ever laid my eyes on crawling up the glass. It is 2-3mm long, and its shell has a pointed cone. I suspect it was hiding in the plants that I bought.

I've tried to take a picture but with no macro setting he is just a blur. His shell is a slightly red/brown whilst the rest is near translucent I suspect due to his infancy.

I don't mind having a snail so long as it isn't the type to breed like crazy, and also I worry about the water conditions.
Readings this morning were - Ph 7, Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 2, Nitrate right inbetween 40-80

Is the snail asexual? And will the water conditions kill it? I would like to keep him if possible but if it's just harming him being in there then I could send it to somebody else who wants it once it has been identified?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/7/2012 16:44
Re: A wee little snail. #2
It's most likely a "pest" type of snail either Ramshorn or Physa. The chances are there were eggs on the plants and it's so small because it recently hatched. You will probably find more hatch as time goes on. They are harmless, but can be unsightly if their numbers increase too much.
aimee aimee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 21/7/2012 16:48
Re: A wee little snail. #3
Thanks. I'll leave it be and see how it goes.
MyLittleAquarium MyLittleAquarium
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 22/7/2012 8:19
Re: A wee little snail. #4
I love my snails. Ive one particular one a pea sized small Gold (very gold and shiny!) one who comes out onto the glass every once in a while - he has a rabbit like face hes soo strange - ive tryed to find his species on the internet but with no luck

I also spend ages rescuing my MTS snails at each water change - just cant bring myself to wash any away down the bath plug.

My little girl helps spot them for me in the bath when i suck up some of the gravel substrate - all part of the fun!! haha
aimee aimee
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 27/7/2012 8:00
Re: A wee little snail. #5
The little snail I first saw perished and I hadn't seen any in a few days, but had spotted poo like stuff on top of the bog wood. This morning I switched the lights on and there were 3 tiny ones and one that it just under a cm, and big enough to identify, they are physa - and right on cue the larger one popped out a poo exactly like the ones that are lying on top of the bog wood