masterchief masterchief
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 10/7/2012 11:20
Awesome mystery fish spotted in Tokyo! #1
Hello there, long time no post! The truth is that this is because I am not currently keeping fish of my own, but I maintain my interest in the hobby.

Anyway, I'm in Japan on a year of study abroad at the moment, and I recently sighted this adorable fellow in a huge marine tank in a store-front. He was friendly and inquistive, and I was wondering if anyone here could help me find out what sort of fish he is?

Original Image

He was in a tank with clownfish, tangs and gobis :)
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 10/7/2012 11:56
Re: Awesome mystery fish spotted in Tokyo! #2
Possibly some kind of Sleeper Goby?
masterchief masterchief
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 11/7/2012 3:20
Re: Awesome mystery fish spotted in Tokyo! #3
I wondered if it was a goby, but I'm not sure as I can't find any pictures online of similar-looking ones. There were recognisable gobies in the tank as well as him, but they were all staying close to the bottom whereas this chap was swimming about in the middle, and his head-shape is different. I've been Googling pictures of similar-looking fish, and the closest I've come yet is dartfish, but even they're not quite right...

Incidentally, all of the other kinds of fish had information cards, just not this one. Helpful!...