• Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 12:20
discus blue colbolt (piwowarski) #1
does anyone on here keep discus ?

im looking at buying 2 of the above

contacted the seller and he told me thay are fine with the fish ive allready got ,plus normal water is ok ,,they just need softer water to breed ,which im not looking to breed them ,i just want to add them to my tank
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 12:57
Re: discus blue colbolt (piwowarski) #2
Your water is OK for domestic Discus strains like these, but there are some other factors to consider.

First are these a bonded pair or are they juveniles? Normally if juvenile you need to start with a group of 6 or so. This is so that you hopefully end up with a pair, and because young Discus are very nervous fish and need to be in shoals to do well.

Next is your other stock. Angels can be kept with Discus, but many recommend they are not kept together. Angels can carry some diseases and parasites that cause no symptoms in themselves, but are potentially very risky for Discus. Angels are also very greedy feeders so Discus may be outcompteted for food and fail to thrive.

Danios are rather too lively for Discus, and as Discus require high temperatures, your Danios will suffer. They really should be kept below 24C where Discus do best at 28C or higher.

Plecs (other than some of the smaller Hypancistrus and similar) are not recommended in Discus tanks as they can easily acquire a taste for the Discus' slime-coat, causing severe damage, stress and eventual death.
moose579 moose579
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 13:04
Re: discus blue colbolt (piwowarski) #3
thanks for the info fishlady

the guy thats selling them is on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-inch-Coba ... _Fish&hash=item4ab9710c7e

lives about 70 min drive from me ..will they be ok for this long in a fish bag ,,
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 14:01
Re: discus blue colbolt (piwowarski) #4
These are very young juveniles. Two won't do well in a community tank with four Angels so personally I wouldn't do it. Unless the Danios can be rehomed I wouldn't add Discus to the tank at all, even an adult pair, as the temperature will be too compromised for one or the other.

To answer the question put, yes, they will be OK bagged and insulated for that amount of time, but while it's obviously your decision, with a relatively new set up, your existing stock and the fact that these are juvenile fish my advice is don't do it.
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 20:25
Re: discus blue colbolt (piwowarski) #5
Have a quick look at some discus forums and then decide if you want to take on the challenge. These are not easy fish to keep in the long term and there is great debate over the correct way to do so.

You also want to take discus advice with a pinch of salt. They take a long time to die due to suboptimal conditions so lots of people think their fish are 'fine' when actually they are slowly wasting away.
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/7/2012 23:31
Re: discus blue colbolt (piwowarski) #6
I agree with FL on this one, If you really want discus then get rid of the other fish and start almost from scratch with more suitable fish species, and as has been said the angels can stress the discus out, making them susceptible to diseases in the tank. go for at least a group of 6, 10 would be better and try for 3" specimens for better success, mix the breeds by all means, stendker lines are great, but the asian lines are getting better than they once were

Think I know the breeder, will check next time i see him
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you
TheDragonLord TheDragonLord
  • Pond Adviser
  • Pond  Adviser
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 13/7/2012 14:43
Re: discus blue colbolt (piwowarski) #7
spoke to a couple of the breeders i know, neither use ebay, just aquarist classifieds, one has none available atm, the other only has one tank of fish large enough to sell while the rest grow on, basically they are just old ones that haven't sold

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail49_284729.php
There are no experts, mearly beginners who know more than others.

Support your LFS, online sites won't stay open 5 mins extra for you