• Posted on: 14/5/2012 14:09
Veg for Otos #1
Hi All,

Wat veg is best?

How's it prepared?

How long do u leave it in the tank?
Best Regards

Rob
5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Steel Blue Killifish, 1 pair of apistogrammers and 2 Bolivian Rams
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/5/2012 15:39
Re: Veg for Otos #2
Hi Rob,

You can try a variety of different veg and see what they seem to prefer as some like one thing more than another.

Typical favourites are: slices of courgette or cucumber, spinach, Romaine lettuce, broccoli.

Otos will often ignore any veg for the first 12 hours or so until it begins to soften so to help with that, blanch the veg by popping into the microwave for 30 seconds on a saucer with a little water.

Use a seaweed clip to hold lettuce or spinach, and for other veg either push a piece of plant weight through to make them sink to the bottom, or fix the veg to a stone with a rubber band. For just a few Otos the screwcumber is a bit big and you'd waste a lot of veg as you'd need to use a lot more than they could eat with one of those attached.

You can leave the veg in for up to 48 hours, but remove sooner if it starts to go mushy or break apart as it will foul the water.

Otos really need fesh veg most days if there isn't a lot of algae in the tank. They can have occasional algae wafers too, but not too often as they usually have protein added and Otos aren't designed to cope with it. Too many algae wafers can cause them to become bloated and unwell.
MyLittleAquarium MyLittleAquarium
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 14/5/2012 16:21
Re: Veg for Otos #3
Ohh just the info i was looking for..but for my Pleco! thanks Fishlady!
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2012 16:22
Re: Veg for Otos #4
Ive literally used a small fork to weigh my pleco's veg down.. just need her to eat it now..
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 14/5/2012 16:36
Re: Veg for Otos #5
Another thing that works as a weight is a teaspoon:

Resized Image
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2012 16:50
Re: Veg for Otos #6
A Fab Photo..which has also helped me out too!, I was wondering it the wrinkling was normal or not with plecos- and your photo confirms that for me feww!