Plug Plug
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 12/5/2012 23:51
Warning - Live Plants #1
Sorry if this issue has already been posted?.

I went the LFS today for a couple of live plants to put in a 60g tank - these were duly soaked and washed very well, as I always do prior to putting them in.

Within half an hour of doing so a colony of 100+ RCS (bar a few that don't look good) were dead!

I'll spare us the details on what followed (emergency, v. large water change, panic etc. etc.) but a bit of research has highlighted an issue that 100% relates to my experience - it is a long thread but well worth the read??it is not Copper poisoning, read on.
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 13/5/2012 7:11
Re: Warning - Live Plants #2
OMG disaster - there is a summary of all this on PFK
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 13/5/2012 14:55
Re: Warning - Live Plants #3
Yep it's a bit of a lottery adding new plants for Shrimp. Let me know if you plan to restockas I have hundreds here . Happy to meet half way I'min Tamworth.

JON
Original Image
Plug Plug
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2012 0:11
Re: Warning - Live Plants #4
Thanks Cathie, what a Nightmare!

So far I have removed 96 bodies, there were 9 left this morning - all alive but dormant and hanging onto Bogwood in the flow, I have now removed them and done the decent thing :(

This tank is heavily planted so there will be more, no doubt, especially babies.

I have always been very wary about Copper and washed/rinsed, washed/rinsed to the point of OCD - as I did with these. I was completely unaware of this particular issue though, the speed at which the shrimps were dropping was scary, I only dropped them in after cleaning with a view to do a bit of gardening today - it was literally minutes, panic set in immediately followed by pulling the plants straight out, a huge water change and a boatload of AC into the external filters - once the hopelessness set in I did a Google that led me to the link in my previous post.

I am not laying any blame with the LFS at the moment given what I have read (they are quite likely as unaware as me?) I use them regularly for supplies/fish, they keep a good house BUT this is the first time I have purchased plants from them and have informed them of the disaster.

JON,

Thank you so much, thats a very kind offer which I may well take up (I'm not far from you)

Thankfully all the fish (upto now) are fine but I am wary about adding anything at this time - paranoia maybe but according to the experts fatal contamination can be 1 ppb (yes, one part per Billion) so I'm going to overhaul this tank fully before going any further.

One last surprise (to me anyway) was that the Peppered Cory's were "ragging" the dead shrimps to bit's like a Jack Russell with a Rat - a real frenzy??
MyLittleAquarium MyLittleAquarium
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Bedfordshire
  • Posted on: 14/5/2012 14:52
Re: Warning - Live Plants #5
Oh No how awful!! this is my exact reason for not getting my shrimp yet..as im in the process of building up my new CO2 tank and purchasing different plants all from different sources..Ive seen lots of sellers on ebay that state they are shrimp safe..have been sticking to those at the moment..hopefully plants alive are to? as ive an order coming from them...will check now!
J_adrian J_adrian
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/5/2012 8:09
Re: Warning - Live Plants #6
Wow that must have been awful, interesting read also
Plug Plug
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Derbyshire
  • Posted on: 30/5/2012 23:35
Re: Warning - Live Plants #7
Thank you for the replies...just to say everything is back to normal - I took the opportunity to completely overhaul the tank.

I've replaced the gravel with sand and added/taken away a few things, I must say the sand is waaaay better than gravel, never used it before, will be doing the same to the other tanks.

Totally re-planted and all's well, it took a painstaking while as I did it all a bit at a time with everyone in situ.

I transferred a few Red Cherries from a 120L Roma I have in the kitchen and they are happy.

(Thanks again to JON for his kind offer but I seem to be sorted)

A lesson learned the hard way.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 30/5/2012 23:39
Re: Warning - Live Plants #8
Glad to hear everything is now OK.....and thank you for the warning!