jasonc jasonc
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Man
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 21/4/2012 11:04
Website copyright #1
Hi all,

Our local classifieds for the Isle of Man seem to have an increasing amount of small tanks for sale, near new. Also, after talking to many people who have just started fishkeeping over here, I find that many have no idea in terms of the nitrogen cycle etc, or, make the mistake of incompatible fish.

Would the site owners here have any objection of me using some of the caresheets and images from this site, to create a local Isle of Man site which I can advertise on the local classifieds.

Of course, I will ensure image alt tags are used along with links to this site.

Would be great. I did write a 1 page blog a short while back, and I had some good feedback from beginners. A blog though doesn't quite serve the same purpose as a site itself.

I'd first create the site with software, but eventually set up a .im domain.

Would really appreciate it.

thanks
Jason
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/4/2012 11:27
Re: Website copyright #2
I would suggest you email or PM admin to ask, but I see a problem to which I have a solution.

You write a blog etc with care sheets taken from here, but some one wants to ask as question, or has a query, but you are unsure or do not know the answer, why not kill two birds with one stone and send them here?
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
jasonc jasonc
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Man
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 21/4/2012 11:31
Re: Website copyright #3
Ultimately, the site will lead to here.

To a manx resident, a manx website is going to have more initial interest for the individual. To us Manxmen, even the UK is a foreign place :) Quite difficult to explain, but that's often the thought method over here.

I don't aim on replicating this site as a main hub for info, but more as an introduction. I don't plan on having a forum, unless of course the site takes off and evolves into a 'meeting point' for manx fishkeepers.

Hope this explains it a little more?

Again this is more for fish welfare than anything.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 21/4/2012 14:36
Re: Website copyright #4
Bear in mind that a lot of FK's content is created at least in part by members, past and present, who are the actual copyright holders of photos, articles etc. Their permission would be needed and not all are still around to be asked.

It would probably be a lot simpler to make your site with your own content, but with Admin's permission link to content on FK or other reputable sites where needed.....sort of a Manx portal to ethical fish keeping.
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 21/4/2012 19:42
Re: Website copyright #5
As FL says, the stuff on here is copyright to the original author/whatever so you'd need to find them and ask if you can use their work.

I appreciate what you're trying to do but it would be better, IMO, to set up your own site with your own content and links to other sites for additional info. I'm working on my own fishy web project at the moment and the amount you learn from doing it yourself is amazing It's hard work but worth it for the amount you learn and the way it makes you think about things.

Have a homepage of Manxman friendly stuff and then provide links to a few good articles with your own explanation of the things involved and why the info in the articles is good
It's Not Just A Fish
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/4/2012 22:37
Re: Website copyright #6
Just when you thought it was easy.............

I can see no problem with linking to this or any other site from the site owners point of view, but for jasonc, I guess it would be pointless to have a blog etc that is just a load of links, so I would go with suey2's idea of creating a website, that way you can put what you like on it, and as mentioned earlier, it could have an Isle Of Man domain name.

You can check if its available by going to This place
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.