(1) 2 3 »
Ja50n8 Ja50n8
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Merseyside
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/4/2012 22:20
What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #1
Looks like the barriers are coming down and it's looking more and more likely I'll be able to get that new tank and I want to put a broad question out there...

If you had a new tank delivered that was roughly 6x2x2, 600 litre - What would you do with it?

I'm talking about everythink from substrate, decorations to what fish you would keep?

I have a few of my own ideas so far but I'm interested to know what you lot would do :)
nathangoudie nathangoudie
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Vietnam
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 6:10
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #2
If I had a 600l, I will set up a mawlawi cichlid tank and transfer all my malawies from the 200l to it xD Then use the 200l to set up another tropical!

Or I'll set up a big community tropical tank since there're lots of tropical fish.
It'd be nice to keep fish like discus or angel in that tank. Or a combination of all tetra species!
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 6:37
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #3
Are you constrained by tap water - if so remind us of parameters - or will you be sneaking in RO unit too??
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
Critch Critch
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Lancashire
  • Group: Basic Membership Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 7:27
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #4
I would have a tank of geophagus red head tapajos,

Sand base, lots of twisty wood and some biotope correct tetras or others, still not sure yet,

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!
I dont keep fish i keep water the fish are only there for decoration
Tanker Tanker
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 9:24
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #5
First I makes sure I got a Ro unit then I would go about creating a tank made up to replicate in the most natural way a lake fast or slow moving containing fish from my most favourite origin :)

And if I was even braver I would go marine with lots of live rocks ect and some stunning fish to boot !!
Ja50n8 Ja50n8
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Merseyside
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 9:24
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #6
I'm restricted by fairly soft and a PH of 7, doesn't mean you would be though ;)
Tanker Tanker
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Hampshire
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 9:43
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #7
The Ro unit will mean u be able to experiment and get the desired water type removing most restrictions :) oh that tank is so pretty if I was more experience I would go marine but so not ready to make that transition as tempting as it is lol
DaveGodfrey DaveGodfrey
  • Temperate Adviser
  • Temperate Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Deep End Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 10:41
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #8
Either a bigger version of what I already have- more Weather Loaches, WCMMs and maybe some Paradise Fish. Or a US Native riverine setup with Shiners and Darters.
Loaches, Barbs, Minnows & Shrimp! Oh My!
psymongreen psymongreen
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Avon
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Deep End
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 11:03
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #9
If it was me, I'd be looking at sumps now

MARINE!!! he he
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 17/4/2012 11:08
Re: What would be 'your' ideal set-up? #10
Gosh that's a tough one - so many ideas for a tank that size I don't know where to start!

An upgrade to a similar sized tank is on the cards in a year or two anyway, but with it being largely for Hermione's benefit it will have to suit her. Probably add in some Clown Loaches, and move my Severums and Angels in there along with a large group of bigger Tetras - maybe Colombian Tetras. Sand bottom, large smooth boulders, bogwood and only tough plants - anubias, java fern, plus plenty of easily replaceable elodea

If I could have two the second would be a group of Discus, Sterbai Cories and Cardinals. Sand again, chunks of slate and some small cobbles, lots of twisty roots and heavily planted.

If I can have a third (and a bigger house) - a massive Tanganyika community would be fun. Large rocks at the back built with overhangs and caves, sand substrate, lots of shells for shelldwellers and maybe tough plants again lodged in the rock work, plus some Vallis.