(1) 2 »
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 8/2/2012 13:01
Bolivian Ram parenting skills #1
Just thought I'd mention my male Bolivian Ram displayed something quite awesome last night, not once, but twice.

I've seen him taking wigglers from one pit to another plenty of times, whereas his current mate doesn't do anything to help other than look on perplexed (first time spawn, I'm sure she'll cotton on to it all with practise).

Tonight I needed to replant a couple of stem plants that had been uprooted by their pit building and substrate rescaping. As I started the process I saw the male gather up every single one in his mouth in one go and keep them there until I'd left the tank and it had all settled down again when he dispatched them back into the original pit.

Then again later, I dropped some food in the tank and I usually try to do it away from them to ensure the fish steer clear when feeding, only this time some of the sinking pellets ended up right by the nest. Once more he gathered the brood in his mouth and patrolled around with them in there for five or ten minutes, then spat them back out again into the pit when all feeding excitement had ended.

That's pretty awesome in my opinion :)
dismalscientist dismalscientist
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 8/2/2012 13:57
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #2
That is pretty awesome! I'd love some Bolivians, waiting to sort out a few niggling issues first then I might add some to my tank!

Got any pictures? Would be lovely to see!
[i][color=9900CC]Good resolutions are useless attempts to interfere with
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 9/2/2012 9:03
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #3
They are excellent fish.

I don't have any current pictures.

here is a little video (bad quality) of the first successful spawn I had in the tank back in September

RAM spawn

Different female to the current spawn though.
Ella Ella
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/2/2012 9:53
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #4
Love the video The littlies are gorgeous

Did many survive ?
Fishkeeping since April 2010 (still loads to learn )

Likes a giggle
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 9/2/2012 10:20
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #5
HI Ella,

none at all unfortunately :(

The rams spawned again a month a later and I syphoned a bunch out (about ten). One of that lot survived and is back in the community with the rest of them.

I already have the spare tank set up and waiting for a few free-swimmers to transfer to from this new spawn. Hoping to repeat the process and get at least one tiddler raised to adult hood.

After that I'll probably not try to raise any more, I don't have the tank space to support any extra rams. But who knows what might happen :)

Here is a vid taken in early December of that tiddler who survived.

Tiddler

I should do a new one. His colour has really started to develop on his fins in the past month
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 10/2/2012 17:21
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #6
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 13/3/2012 15:51
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #7
I rescued some of the young from the tank a day or so later, just a handful, about nine or ten.

For a long time I could barely see them in the spare 60l tank but I kept on feeding them brine shrimp and eventually a couple of weeks later I was sure five had survived, this is more than I was expecting or hoping, I wanted one to go back to the main tank eventually. How wrong I was, as of last night I positively identified nine surviving ram young in there. They've grown so much in a month, quicker than the last lot. I'll grab some pictures soon, they've been so skittish up to now, but they're gaining more confidence with each day that passes.

Even as a group of tiny rams they're already displaying interesting behaviour as they bicker amongst themselves. It is great to see their little personalities at work.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Moderators Image Admin Caresheets FK Supporter Registered Users Advisers
  • Posted on: 13/3/2012 16:06
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #8
Ahh...if you've the time to do it, raising baby fish is fascinating and so satisfying ..... love to see some pics when they're big enough
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 13/3/2012 23:16
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #9
Well theyr'e big enough now, though I have to apologise in advance for both the state of the photography and the state of the tank they're in !

Attach file:

jpg  (79.58 KB)
11556_4f5fd56adc297.jpg 1024X683 px
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 13/3/2012 23:23
Re: Bolivian Ram parenting skills #10
Wider shot.

Attach file: