(1) 2 3 4 5 »
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 16:21
Help on new tank stuff. #1
Hello everyone as some of you know the recent visit to aquatic's live has inspired me to set up a heavily planted shrimp tank. I have a 45L tank in the garage that is not being used for anything it has got a light in the lid but it is old and will need replacing it says on it 14w T8 don't know if that good enough? I want moss like ricca flutians and java moss on small rocks and bogwood with glossostigma covering the black substrate. I would want to try a CO2 system as I never used one before and want a good effect from the plants, I see there a few DIY set-ups out there. Has anyone used a DIY CO2 what would you recommend I looked at an article showing people how to make CO2 by placing 2 cups of sugar, tbl spoon of yeast and water in a 2ltr bottle attached to a bubble counter then to a diffuser in the tank. That sounds quite simple and cheap to me, but I was wondering would it be enough/too much CO2 is there anyway to control the amount going in to that i would need it to be? Am I right in saying that you don't leave the CO2 on all the time? As to shrimp I am thinking a mixture of Red cherry and Red crystal as long as they don't breed between cherry and crystal? Any help and advice would be great thanks!
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

www.midlandspondservices.co.uk
Miss pril Miss pril
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership Deep End
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 17:00
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #2
Hey CB

Not that great on Co2 and stuff but I know about. With you DIY one you are talking about there isn't a way to control how much goes in so you'd have to run an airstone at night to get oxygen levels up in the water but doing this will waste quite abit of the Co2 through surface agitation but ofcourse you need the oxygen!

T5 lights are better than T8 lights but thats for someone else to comment on as to whether you need them or not.

There was a thread on this not so long ago, gonna go find it for you

Miss P

EDIT - Found it http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/ ... id=246118#forumpost246118

ANOTHER EDIT - http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles ... ighting-your-aquarium.htm This may also help..(though when I read it my eyes kind of glazed over )
I can't see you...but I know you're there
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 17:25
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #3
Thanks for the links Miss Pril, I have just finished reading the CO2 thread and it has told me everything I need to know about the time to keep the CO2 going into the tank. But I do need to find out a way to stop the C02 running into the tank when the lights are off to stop the PH crashing. Should I keep a air pump running at all time even though it makes the CO2 only 60% effective?
One who cannot love her smallest creations, cannot claim to stand before Nature - Takashi Amano

Miss pril Miss pril
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 17:34
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #4
Well if you want to use the DIY (so some bottles, yeast, sugar, water etc) I don't think there is a way to 'turn it off' with out it exploding. I don't think you want that haha!

I did have some PM's about Co2 and stuff but I must of deleted them I'm trying to remember!

I THINK that what happens is....the plants during the day use the Co2 and the lights. Then when the lights go out (so obviously through the night) they stop using the Co2 and take in oxygen instead? So as you're still putting in Co2 it isn't being used and the plants are taking all of the oxygen.

So airpump is needed to help oxygenate and get rid of the Co2 that isn't being used so that the pH doesn't crash.

I do hope i've remembered that right!
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 17:42
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #5
Yes thats right, I was thinking of running a air stone full time? Why don't I just take the diffuser out of the water when I turn the lights off?

Miss pril Miss pril
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 17:47
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #6
The Co2 would still be running and would just go into the air then.

Have you got your heart set on a Co2 kit or could you just use ferts?

It is a small volume of water to be playing with
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 17:55
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #7
I was told by a guy on the ADA stand thats its not a need but CO2 would produce the best effects and from looking at his tanks I want it like them!

And taking the diffuser out of the water would be the best idea I think and its not a problem because the CO2 producing mixture is so cheap.

CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 19:21
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #8
Just spent ?15 on stuff for making the CO2 system

What do I do for lights now?

Miss pril Miss pril
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Berkshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 19:24
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #9
Very nice, what have you got? Did you get a bubble counter aswell?

For lights I would base it on the plants you're gettting. If they are high level light plants then I would consider maybe getting T5's
CB3100 CB3100
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 19:33
Re: Help on new tank stuff. #10
Thats the one thing I did not get yet I need to know if I need one.

I was thinking I could ditch the lid and get a clip on LED lamp does anyone know if thats a good idea?