(1) 2 »
KittyKat KittyKat
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/11/2011 22:36
Massive dilemma #1
Hi guys, I know it's been a while since I last posted and PLEASE bear with me on this.
I acquired a fish on bonfire night, my friends little boy won him at a fair and his Mum was dead against it. I essentially had to chose take a fish you have no tank for or the fish gets "flushed".
That night I went to TESCO and got a 10l storage box for Rhod to go in overnight and some water conditioner, there was little option at 9pm on a Saturday. The following day I went to PAH and got the largest tank I could, 19l with filter bundle, I also got some oxygen weed (forgot the proper name) and a nice big rock for hiding. I set the tank up and used the appropriate amount of stresszyme an stress coat. The filter was far too powerful and the water just churned, PAH swapped it for one from their "children's tanks". Problem is, it still chuck Rhod about a bit. I took the filter out on Tuesday and perform daily 50-60% changes. Rhod looked like he had fin rot while the filter was in, I treated this but it was still bad, I'm now thinking it was stress as it improved once the filter was removed. Downside to no filter is the ammonia burns, there is no point checking water as i know it's nigh on impossible to regulate in such a small tank. These do appear to be slowly improving using stress coat and zyme with each water change. Anyhow, my question is this: Is it better to have the filter and him get sloshed about or leave it out and continue massive water changes?
Also, I haven't seen him eat in 8 days but he is not looking like he's losing weight. I'm only offering food every 2 days.

I KNOW he needs a bigger tank but until Feb when I move there is nothing I can do. I'm doing my best and I am on the lookout for another tank, even a 75l would be preferrable. I sold my 125l cold water planted set up in August (long story). I'm still in contact with the girl who brought it and the set up and fish are all doing REALLY well. Took me so long to get that how I wanted :(
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: FK Supporter Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/11/2011 22:56
Re: Massive dilemma #2
Hi

Keep the filter in, as the fish needs it and it will be harder over coming weeks to stabilise water quality without it. You need that growing bacteria colony.

Staples do an 84 litre food safe (so fish safe) box for ?15. That would give him the extra volume - think diluton - and would make the affect of the filter more gentle.

http://www.staples.co.uk/office-suppl ... ng-storage-box-clear?r=se

Do you have any readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at all? Lack of feeding is quite worrying in a goldy, but no doubt he's feeling rather poorly.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
KittyKat KittyKat
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 19/11/2011 23:14
Re: Massive dilemma #3
I was just about to look on the wilko website for something like that, had a but of a eureka moment where I remembered reading on here about someone using one as a qt. 80ltr box Plus I won't have him permantenty (he's single tail) and this way when I get a new tank I wonks gave to worry about stripping down to set up for trips.
Filter is on again and he looks like he's on spin cycle bless him. I have no readings at all, I know for sure tank not cycled etc. Although the plant has given me some snails which are doing ok, I know mts are a sign of ok water quality but not sure about these. My water PH is always a stable 7.6.
What time of year is best to rehome to a pond? Obviously want to get him well and grown a little if possible first.
KittyKat KittyKat
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2011 14:14
Re: Massive dilemma #4
Box set up, currently on floor in dining room as I have nothing strong enough to hold it. Letting water temp settle the. Rhod can go in, poor little guy!!! Still better than a flushing though.
Thanks for the advice!!
Sorry if about the occasional incorrect words in my posts, posting from phone and autocorrect likes making me look silly!!
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2011 18:29
Re: Massive dilemma #5
Excellent work there!

The increased volume can only help. If the filter was removed on Tuesday though, bear in mind any bacteria you did have will have died so you are starting the cycle afresh from yesterday.

Certainly, I'd be doing 25% daily water changes until you can grab a test kit so we can see what levels of ammonia and nitrite you are contending with. A lot of work I know, but very important for the next few weeks at least if he is to do well. You can throw in some bunches of Elodea for cover. They can just float around as no need to be planted and will make him feel a bit more secure.

Hope that helps
KittyKat KittyKat
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2011 20:03
Re: Massive dilemma #6
He's got some bunched eleoda already. I've stress coat and stresszyme in there too. I think he's enjoying his new space. Have just tried him on peas and nothing. He seems interested but sort of sniffs it then swims off. Doesn't play with the gravel like past goldfish I've had either. Hope he improves soon!
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2011 20:32
Re: Massive dilemma #7
Stress coat will deal with the chlorine and chloramine (as well as heavy metals) in the water, but I'd save your money and ditch the stress zyme.

This product suggests it's bacteria in a bottle, but given the bacteria you need a) require a constant food source and b) airated flow to remain alive, unlikely to be of use really as they get neither in a bottle A lot of people here have tried many kinds and they do not speed up the cycle. Say's it all really.

You could try Soll Bactinettes, they may help if you can find them in a fridge in a LFS. Tip off the liquid as ammonia heavy and add to the end of a pop sock for easy removal. These have helped for some when tanks crash, although my personal experience of them was poor

Daily water changes helped more in IMHO.

If using peas, zap in the microwave for 10/15 seconds in a spoon of water or so, pinch of the outer skin and mush the inside a bit, then add to tank. Most goldies love peas. Lack of food interest would be a bit worrying
KittyKat KittyKat
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2011 21:41
Re: Massive dilemma #8
I got the zyme and coat in a bundle so may as well give it a go, I was having peas with my diner anyway and did the old peal and squish but nothing! Peas are like the miracle food of fish, I've NEVER had one turned down yet (not claiming to be an expert obviously). My other fail safe is live dapnhia but if he doesn't eat them it's gonna be one hell of a mess!
Think I'll go for daily 25-30% changes and not feed until Tuesday night, by then he should be feeling better, It's the strangest thing to see a goldie just sniff food and swim off. At least I know I've tried my best with him, can't see him surviving in a pond in the state he's in right now over the freezing winter.
KittyKat KittyKat
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Northamptonshire
  • Posted on: 20/11/2011 21:47
Re: Massive dilemma #9
Just though ]t, could he be eating the plant when I'm not around and because he's feeling rough anyway it's curbing his appetite?? I know it's probably sily but it akes sense un my head!
Daisy Daisy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 16:35
Re: Massive dilemma #10
Kittycat, if he is sniffing the food and swimming off it's possible that he doesn't recognise it as food. If he has never been fed peas before he might not realise how delicious they are. Of course, he could be off his food because of poor health and I would always assume the worse, but just making a suggestion.

You're doing the right thing with getting him a bigger water volume..I would be doing 50% changes a day though just to be safe until you get a test kit so you know what state the water is in. You can get them in the LFS, or they are a fair bit cheaper online....if yo can get the liquid test kits rather than the papaer strip kits that would be better as they are more accurate.
Good luck with him :)