Silverfish Silverfish
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 15/11/2011 23:08
What would you do?? #1
Hello all!

A guy in work came in to me today and asked if I knew anyone who wanted some goldfish. He has 3 in a tiny tank and wants to get rid of them, I told him to return them to the shop but he said it's too much hassle and he wants to flush them!

I told him if he's considering that then he can give them to me if it comes to that.

All I have spare at the moment is my 110L that I'm using to grow up my batch of baby apple snails, and these are 2 telescopes or black moors, and one 'other'. He said they were expensive but they sound stunted for being a year old :/

I really can't bear the thought of these fishies going down the toilet, and I'm thinking that even my 110L would be a better alternative, until I can find a shop that will take them.

What would you guys think?
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators Registered Users Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 15/11/2011 23:17
Re: What would you do?? #2
Well, I'm a soft touch for a goldie in need so I'd probably take them. But I'd also tell him what I thought of his flushing plans, once I'd got my hands on the fish Personally I think the flushing is a ruse to get someone else to deal with his problems but on the off chance he might be serious ...

At least if you take them you have time to find a proper home for them if he can't be bothered to You don't need to keep them

I'm not sure I'm being much help! I don't mean to influence you one way or another, I've decided not to rehome fish in the past when I could have done in an emergency. I just felt that in those cases there were other options and as it turns out the owners have sorted it out without me having to take on a fish I didn't really want but would have taken had I needed to Does that make any sense?
It's Not Just A Fish
maccy_g maccy_g
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 15/11/2011 23:19
Re: What would you do?? #3
Too much hassle to return them to a shop?!? Sounds like a diamond bloke....

To be honest if I were you I'd immediately take them off his hands, sure ok 110l isn't the ideal size of tank for them but it'll be like an ocean to them in comparison to where they've been living currently and it would get them through till the New Year at least.

Once the New Year comes around you could then donate them to a local, reputable fish place (who may even give you a credit note for your trouble if the fish are well) or, if you've become attached to them you could look at upgrading the tank for them.

Overall, anything has got to be better than those poor fish spending any more time with that guy....or in the sewer.

Good luck! Hope it works out!
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 16/11/2011 4:20
Re: What would you do?? #4
Hi V,

If you can manage it I think it would be great to save them. As you know I've saved a few in my time (two of my 5 are rescues), but if you do you need to be aware that if you take them it may be difficult to find forever homes for them. I've been very lucky that Brigitte was able to take Tigger and my other missions have been single tails which have been easy to home in people's ponds.

Taking them to a shop is problematic as they will be wary of taking potentially ill or diseased fish and even if they do have them they may well be sold on in to
innapropriate conditions again (sadly most goldfish are never homed in adequate conditions)

It would probably be most realistic to offer them temporary accomodation and make contact with fish rescue organisations to have them..

It seems that people who love goldies are usually fully stocked and people who don't understand their needs are unwilling / unable to put in the necessary investment.

A very wise fishkeeper one reminded me that there are goldfish needing rescue around every corner and you can't save them all.

My temptation would be to make them safe, but realise that finding homes may be tricky.

JON
Original Image
Bead Bead
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Devon
  • Posted on: 16/11/2011 14:17
Re: What would you do?? #5
I second what JD has said, I still have two goldies I need to find homes for but no-one is interested, not sure what I am going to do when they get a little bigger. But saying that I would not have left them with previous owners because they would of probably ended up being flushed too and that is no way for a goldie to go. I will keep on looking for a suitable new family for them as there is bound to be someone out there xx
The proud owner of a 350 litre tank as a home for my 6 fancy goldies.... Dumbledore, Dylan, Noggin, Ben, Bubo and little Nanny (name change when her personality comes out).
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 16/11/2011 21:40
Re: What would you do?? #6
As I've said before I'm often in the south west and am happy to bring babies up to the Midlands if members North of Devon are able to help Bead out. I'm next down there Dec 17th then over Christmas (When I will also be popping down to west Cornwall so could deliver them down there too)

JON
Original Image
Daisy Daisy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 16:27
Re: What would you do?? #7
Hi Viriconia,
I would take them off his hands and put them in the 110l for now.
Unless you can upgrade it won't be enough long term....but you can always then find a shop to take them, which is what you suggested the bloke did.
Giving them to an lfs may not be the most ideal thing, but it's better than being flushed.