deckrat deckrat
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 19/10/2011 20:38
New Tank #1
Hi
Think I posted in wrong forum.I will be changing my tank this weekend from 90ltr to a 180ltr.Help required as follows
1,Will using some of the existing water assist the cycle.
2.I have 2 internal filters in my existing tank,the new one has external,could I use some of the media from the existing tank to help the cycle.
3.Have seen mention of ceramic media (siporax)could I use this in the new filter and take out the existing medium.
4.I have 6 neons,4 dwarf corys,1 clown loach,1 died recently and 6 guppys what other fish would you suggest.I have been advised the the tank aint suitable for the clown loach.
Forget 7 assins

Deckrat
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/10/2011 20:45
Re: New Tank #2
Called an instant cycle.....

You can do what's called an immediate cycle

True, whilst all surfaces in the tank are coated with some bacteria the vast majority are housed in the filter. Moving over existing gravel would help a bit, but not vital if you want to change the colour scheme at this stage. The crucial thing is the filter media.

Add pre rinsed substrate to new tank. Fill up the new tank to about 60% with pre treated, warmed water (test for 24 hours first though so you know it doesn't leak) then move the existing filter over to run alongside the new one, or simply add all the media to the new filter - cram it in, it doesn't have to look pretty and if it's sponge it should squidge in.

You can add new media to the new filter at this stage if you choose, such as ceramics.

If you plan to run them alongside each other, the old one needs to run for about 6-8 weeks to ensure the water stays safe whilst the new media grows the bacteria colony.

Add the filters and switch on, top up the tank with as much of the existing tank water as you can - it gets a bit mucky as you get lower so leave the last bit (fish may be happier in a bucket of existing tank water whilst you do this bit) - then add the fish, acclimatising them first in bags as you would if they were new additions.

Then, the final top up of pre treated water may be needed to complete. Plant, twiddle and fuss with plants as the last stage as you won't be clock watching at this point lol

Hey presto, same amount of bacteria but more water volume. When upgrading like this you don't need to wait for the new bigger tank to cycle. Testing each day for a week or so is recommended so you can catch and deal with any possible small spikes that may occur in the water paramaters
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
CurmudgeonlyOldMan CurmudgeonlyOldMan
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Carmarthenshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/10/2011 20:50
Re: New Tank #3
I think this is where you originally posted Deckrat.

Original thread here.
[url=injaf.org/the-big-fish-campaign/][img align=right]http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/uploa
dwss59 dwss59
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • Cichlid Adviser
  • From Hampshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 19/10/2011 20:55
Re: New Tank #4
Simple as.
Its something i have done for years, 2 weeks ago actually as well.

The main point is to add as much original tank water to the new tank as possible, as filters don't liike temp change,new water etc Specifically untreated water.

I would use all the media from your internals to fill the external. You can fit sponge into all the areas of the new filter and then in a few weeks take out the sponge and add ceramics carbon or whatever you see fit.
hth
Central Americans; once they pop they don't stop!