lenny stickleback lenny stickleback
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 28/9/2011 22:49
Assassin snails with Nerite snails #1
Hi,

I've read conflicting advice online with regards to keeping these two species of snail together. Some say assassins will leave adult nerites alone and others that they will attack all other snails including nerites. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of keeping the two together as I have quite a few smaller pest snails and wouldn't mind adding an assassin snail to the tank so long as my Zebra Nerite will be safe?

Thanks,

Scott
Get fish or die tryin'
Daisy Daisy
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 21/11/2011 18:09
Re: Assassin snails with Nerite snails #2
I don't mix assassins and other snails, but I have seen assassins on a nerite snail in the absence of other food...I think it possibly comes down to whether you feed the assassins once they have run out of the pest snails you are presumably employing them to eat...if they have easier food then they might not touch the bigger snails.
lenny stickleback lenny stickleback
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lanarkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 22/11/2011 13:42
Re: Assassin snails with Nerite snails #3
Thanks Daisy, the pest snails haven't quite gotten as out of hand as I feared they might and are actually doing a useful job cleaning my anubias of algae so I've decided to let them be for now. Once my nerite goes of hopefully natural causes I might reconsider.

Thanks again

Scott
Get fish or die tryin'