(1) 2 3 4 »
grayson grayson
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 25/9/2011 21:29
fish sick #1
i have a 3mx1x1 pond, fairly new 2 months old. i have good quality pump and uv filter. i introduced fish (10 mirror carp, 10 goldfish, 2 x koi) a month ago. all was well until this weekend when 3 x goldfish died. now the mirror carp are sick and covered in white slime.

i have gone to local world of water and they tested water and said all fine. they said prob parasite infection, so i've given dose of malachine green 36 hrs ago, but fish seem to be getting worse, thy hide all day and v inactive.

anybody got any advice re this white slime??

thanks in advance
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 25/9/2011 21:47
Re: fish sick #2
White slime is usually indicative of an excess slime coating when the fish are trying to protect themselves.

That's a lot of stocking for a new pond. Usually 5/6 or so fish are introduced over a month, then wait for the filter to catch up, add 5 or more after another month etc

High ammonia or nitrite a common culprit for excess slime.

What are the water readings for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Good test kit here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw ... rksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
grayson grayson
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 25/9/2011 22:07
Re: fish sick #3
not sure of test reading, but was told that water was totally fine.

when u say the slime is to "protect themselves", protect themselves from what??

the koi has now got cloudy eyes and lying dormant at bottom of pond
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 25/9/2011 22:16
Re: fish sick #4
Quote:

grayson wrote:

hi, have a read through some of the other posts, you will find quite often a shop will say "the water is fine" when it isn't. The only way to know for sure is with your own test kit.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 25/9/2011 22:27
Re: fish sick #5
Quote:

grayson wrote:

when u say the slime is to "protect themselves", protect themselves from what??

the koi has now got cloudy eyes and lying dormant at bottom of pond

Slime coat increases to protect the fish from damage caused by toxins in the water - particularly ammonia and nitrite. Cloudy eyes are another symptom of the same problems
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 25/9/2011 22:32
Re: fish sick #6
Hi Grayson

Excess slime coat is produced to protect the fish if/when water is not suitable for them. It sounds like, too many fish too soon as violet has said.

Have a read through the link under my signature strip on the nitrogen cycle; this will explain more about water quality and the need for it.

A good water test kit is an essential piece of kit for any fish keeper, shops, 99% of the time will tell you your water is fine, for healthy happy fish you need to check this for yourself and your own piece of mind.

Oppsy..clashed with Noodle.

PS if you can get your water tested (ASAP) again at your LFS ask them to write the results down so you can check them on here.
grayson grayson
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 26/9/2011 13:11
Re: fish sick #7
re the comments that the shops always say water is fine when it isnt, why would they do that?? the guy at the shop did the tests in front of me with the same test kit that i can buy at the shop, so a bit confused by the comments.
grayson grayson
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Sussex
  • Posted on: 26/9/2011 13:14
Re: fish sick #8
i have ordered a test kit, it will prob take a few days to arrive, so has anyone got any suggestions / treatments i can put in to try and help the fish??

one other thing i didnt mention in my initial post is that the fish are flashing alot, and keep scraping against the pond, the pump etc....a sign of parasite the guy at wofw said. would this scraping cause the damage to the skin and white patches??
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 26/9/2011 14:59
Re: fish sick #9
Quote:

grayson wrote:
re the comments that the shops always say water is fine when it isnt, why would they do that?? the guy at the shop did the tests in front of me with the same test kit that i can buy at the shop, so a bit confused by the comments.

Being cynical, because if they tell you there's a problem you'll walk away without buying fish. Similar to them letting you walk out with far to many fish for a new pond. Best thing is to have your own test kit, and if you have to rely on a shop to test ask for the actual numbers particularly for ammonia and nitrite which should always be at 0. "Fine" is subjective and means nothing, but actual numbers will tell you whether or not it's really fine.
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 26/9/2011 15:03
Re: fish sick #10
Quote:

grayson wrote:
i have ordered a test kit, it will prob take a few days to arrive, so has anyone got any suggestions / treatments i can put in to try and help the fish??

one other thing i didnt mention in my initial post is that the fish are flashing alot, and keep scraping against the pond, the pump etc....a sign of parasite the guy at wofw said. would this scraping cause the damage to the skin and white patches??

It could possibly be a parasite, but at this point it's more likely toxins causing irritation to the skin. Answering that it's parasites without taking account of the overstocking and likely ammonia/nitrite issues resulting from that is a good way to sell an anti-parasite medication.

When you have your test kit post the results here and that will help us determine whether the issue if water-quality, parasites or both :-{