jasonc jasonc
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Man
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 10:46
Zebra Danio problem #1
Hi Guys,

One of my 11 danios is swimming on an angle, struggling to keep upright. If he was to stop moving then it would appear that he'd simply simk to the bottom of the tank - tail pointing downwards.

All other danios and inhabitants are fine with no behaviour or external symptoms.

I've narrowed this down to a bacteria infection or swim bladder issue. Can anyone advise?

230 litres
Soft acidic water (dont have exact measurements but recently posted results of tap water from water supplier website)
PH 6.4
Amm - 0
Nitri - 0
Nitra - less than 5ppm

Thanks
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 11:24
Re: Zebra Danio problem #2
Hi Jason

Most likely bacterial as that can cause problems with swim bladder functionality. If all other fish are OK treat him in a quarantine tank: Melafix/Pimafix combo, or eSha 2000 should fix it.

Are the Danios in your main tank? Just asking as the temp in there is likely to be a tad high for them. Also pH is a bit low and water rather on the soft side for Danios which may have lowered his immunity.
jasonc jasonc
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Man
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 11:37
Re: Zebra Danio problem #3
Hi Noodle,

You're right actually, I went by an info card at our LFS temperature wise. The tank is 1.5C over their recommended requirements looking at the fishkeeping caresheets.

what was going to be my quarantine tank is now home to my betta permanently. I do however have a food safe coolbox which I used to transport the clown loach in when moving home (due to their spines in plastic bags).

With a constant temperature in our home approx 22-23C, can I use that to quarantine him in as it wouldnt need a heater. Should i also pop an airstone in there with a controlled stream of bubbles?

In terms of meds, I always keep white spot treatment in stock, however I dont have melafix or the other you mentioned. Our LFS is so limited on this island. Can you recommend one of the king british meds as they stock a wide range of them.

Many thanks
Jason
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Group: Caresheets Moderators FK Supporter Registered Users Image Admin Advisers
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 12:24
Re: Zebra Danio problem #4
Hi Jason

The Coolbox should do the job and if room temp is as you say he should be fine, but bag him or put him a tupperware box and float it to let the temp equalise before releasing him.

An airstone is a good idea during treatment too so yes do add one.

King British Anti Bacteria No7 should work.

Don't forget he'll need a filter in there with him
jasonc jasonc
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Man
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 13:20
Re: Zebra Danio problem #5
Thanks Noodle.

I have a spare undergravel filter which i can put in there with him. I'll have to weight it down with something so ill put some stones in a sealed fish bag to keep it down.

i may delay this until tomorrow morning and pick up a cheap tank, heater, and filter tomorrow at my LFS as im sure i will need to treat another fish at some point through my fish keeping :s

thanks again
jasonc jasonc
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Man
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 13:45
Re: Zebra Danio problem #6
My LFS are going to loan me a filter and heater (would be handy just in case temp drops at night). Very nice of them indeed.

I've just found a 25 litre for sale too locally on our classifieds website, for ?20, with filter, and lights, advertised as 'perfect for beginner'... (poor fish).

I'll buy a heater from a LFS - I trust a 25 litre setup is suitable to treat sick fish?
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 13:58
Re: Zebra Danio problem #7
Yes should be fine for small fish like Danios as hopefully he'll only be in there a few days anyway. Get some mature media from your existing filter and pop it into the filter of the 25 litre tank so you have an instant cycle.
jasonc jasonc
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Isle of Man
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 16:28
Re: Zebra Danio problem #8
Thanks Noodle. The growth rate of my pleco is going to mean that i'll need to upgrade tank within the next 12 months I'd say. By then the 230 litre would prob suffice as a hospital tank lol..

This is what I have my eyes on. If i'm buying big then i'd prefer to buy new rather than have regrets.

Take a look at this.. http://aquatlantis.com/uk-frame-produtos.php?id_produto=16 .. 800odd litres will certainly give plec some room to stretch his legs!! Time to save the pennies though, only ?1800 -_- but in my oppinion very much worth it!
Fishlady Fishlady
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From Worcestershire
  • Posted on: 9/9/2011 17:14
Re: Zebra Danio problem #9
Oh wow! Am very jealous ....that looks lovely.