Silver Spar Silver Spar
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From East Lothian
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 9/8/2011 10:08
Danio Tragedy - How to avoid in future? #1
Hi all,

I had a bit of a tragedy last night - one of my Zebra Danios somehow managed to worm its way behind the filter in its tank (An Elite Stingray 15)

By the time I found it, it was quite badly crushed, but even worse, it was still alive. After I saw how badly it was injured, I put it out of its misery with some Vodka, but obviously I don't want to have to deal with that again.

Is there any way to block off the space behind the filter? I have some filter wool on hand, but I'm not sure they won't start pulling at it. Or is this just a hazard of fishkeeping that I have to accept and be aware of?
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/8/2011 10:27
Re: Danio Tragedy - How to avoid in future? #2
Sorry to hear that, to lose a pet by accident is always horrible. It is a hazard of small fish and internal filters / heaters, but your filter wool idea sounds a good one as it will block the gap and can be replaced as necessary.

JON
Resized Image
alysonpeaches alysonpeaches
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From South Yorkshire
  • Posted on: 9/8/2011 11:28
Re: Danio Tragedy - How to avoid in future? #3
I had this happen with a white cloud mountain minnow and an Elite Stingray, and I know Im not the only one. They are badly designed and the best thing you can do is to buy another filter, like an Eheim Aquaball or a Fluval U2/3. In the meantime, filling the space with filter wool will work as a stop gap. The filtration on the stingrays isnt good anyway as you will notice there is hardly any sponge in them.
><((((?>`?.??.???`?.?.???`?...?><((((?>><((((?>`?.??.???`?.?.???`?...?><((((?>
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 9/8/2011 11:42
Re: Danio Tragedy - How to avoid in future? #4
Yep they are a bit of a pain and the caridges have carbon in and I've never found replacements without it so you are stuck with replacing cartridges every few weeks or just stuffing more sponge in their place.

JON
Resized Image
cathie cathie
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Moderators Registered Users Advisers FK Supporter Caresheets Image Admin
  • Posted on: 9/8/2011 13:04
Re: Danio Tragedy - How to avoid in future? #5
One of my danios lost most of its tail (since regrown) in an incident investigating a new nano marine pump I added to the tank, they are very nosy - but none of them go near it now ...
[url=http://www.bigfishcam
paddington paddington
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 9/8/2011 14:14
Re: Danio Tragedy - How to avoid in future? #6
I've had a few fish stuck behind an Elite Stingway. In my opinion they're rubbish filters with a serious design flaw. Get rid of it and replace with something less gimmicky that won't make it easy for inquisitive fish to commit suicide behind it.

Sorry for your loss :(
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 9/8/2011 19:26
Re: Danio Tragedy - How to avoid in future? #7
Sorry for the fishy loss As many have said, the stingray does have some design faults and it's not a particulary great filter tbh. I'd consider an upgrade to an Eheim Aquaball or the like. You should just push the existing foam from the stingray into the new filter to ensure no loss of bacteria when you do a swop over.

Hope that helps.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Etzeitet Etzeitet
  • Just can't stay away
  • Just can't stay away
  • From Lancashire
  • Posted on: 12/8/2011 11:11
Re: Danio Tragedy - How to avoid in future? #8
How did the filter crush the fish?

I don't understand how it would unless it is flapping around banging against the glass..