Matt-t Matt-t
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From West Midlands
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 4/8/2011 12:22
Winters Fast Approaching.. Help Guidance and tips and tricks? #1
Im sure this has been covered on here before and ive had a quick flick through the pages but can not seem to find much...
Winter being a short time away, and my pond still in planning ( will be done this month) just wondering on the best way to keep the pond in good order over winter.

I will expect the top to freeze over but i plan to put a ball or something on top to make sure there is air gaps.

The pond design incorporates a water fall which concearns me come winter as it may freeze up, would it be worth in the colder months removing the pipe from the water fall and placing it directly in the water?

Also any other tips and tricks to keep the pipes and filterbox from freezing up (i will be leaving them running)
suey2 suey2
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • Coldwater Moderator
  • From London
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets Moderators Advisers Image Admin
  • Posted on: 5/8/2011 19:46
Re: Winters Fast Approaching.. Help Guidance and tips and tricks? #2
I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help but I can at least give you a bump and hope someone more clued up on ponds than me spots this now
It's Not Just A Fish
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 7/8/2011 0:07
Re: Winters Fast Approaching.. Help Guidance and tips and tricks? #3
You mean advice for construction as you are still in the planning stage?

Polystyrene.

Sheet under the biofilter, and if you like put it all round it, then watch as all the pipes freeze.

Its not quite the six million dollar question, but pretty close.

In theory you should put insulation under the bio filter and all round it, and on the lid, but what about the pipes? you can't easily insulate those.
(You will have around a 40mm pipe from the pump to the bio filter, standard pipe insulation does not fit it)

Then what about the point the water returns to the pond?
The pipe is above the water level the pond surface freezes, how does the water get back? (It doesn't, if its that cold it too will freeze)

A ball on the water surface does not leave an air gap, it just makes people ask why you have a ball on the pond.
The idea is that you remove the ball and where it was there is now water. But my question is where do you put the ball now? you can't put it back as that will seal the hole, and the rest of the pond is iced over.

The best thing to do is a floating pond ice heater, this constantly keeps a small area clear of ice.
You can also try the hot water in a sauce pan trick (But it takes several lots of hot water to work)

Under no circumstances should you ever hit the ice. The shock wave can kill all the fish.
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 7/8/2011 23:06
Re: Winters Fast Approaching.. Help Guidance and tips and tricks? #4
Resized Image

Above is a picture from late last year of the ice I removed from my pool, when it gets this thick no amount of insulation is going to stop it. (Can of coke to give perspective)
Good quality costs. Bear this in mind before you start.

Sorry if my reply is NOT want you want to hear, but what I have said is true.

We can only go by what you type.

A "thank you" costs nothing, but goes a long way.