akaike akaike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 28/7/2011 20:45
My snail is sick :( #1
My poor little apple snail (called Garry) appears to have been burnt by the aquarium heater. He's been stuck in his shell for the past day and a half, and how he's stuck to the front of the tank. He looks slightly singed, some parts look very shiny in appearance.

Is there any type of medication that I can add to the tank to help with the healing process? I really don't want to lose little Garry
Violet Violet
  • Tropical Adviser
  • Tropical  Adviser
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users Caresheets FK Supporter Advisers Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/7/2011 21:07
Re: My snail is sick :( #2
Oh dear! I don't think snails are the brightest of critters

Certainly a Melafix/Pimafix combo in the tank won't do any harm. They are both very natural and will not affect the fish but aid with healing and sores. Can get a bit bubbly when you add, so be prepared for that.

When adding any kind of med, extra airation is recommended as o2 can be depleted a bit. Do you run an airstone?

Might be worth investing in a heater guard. Many different designs but usually a plastic criss-cross/slatted sheath that slides over the heater.
Please fill in your personal profile if you are posti
Jellybean Jellybean
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From West Yorkshire
  • Group: Registered Users FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 28/7/2011 22:18
Re: My snail is sick :( #3
I was tempted to mention this combo again but i didn?t want to sound like a Mela/Primafix junkie, it seems to be all i recommend at the moment...it is good stuff though
akaike akaike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 29/7/2011 10:08
Re: My snail is sick :( #4
Yes, I run a bubble wall across the length of the tank. The snails love travelling up and down it :) There is another pump spare, so another air stone/brick wouldn't go amiss. A heater guard is definitely an option. I'd hate for anything like this to happen again!

I'll definitely look into buying some melafix soon! Thanks for all your help