akaike akaike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 23:31
Axolotl advice #1
Hi everyone

First time posting here on the forum, and its only for a bit of advice really. My other half purchased an axolotl from the local pet shop about 2 weeks ago. He is using sand as a substrate, and the little guy is really thriving.

However, it gets too warm in the room that we are keeping him, so we are going to move him into a room that will keep the tank much cooler than it is now. Obviously we are going to have to empty the entire tank so that we can move it. But he was wondering weather or not it would be safe to place regular play sand for the substrate, or just stick with the stuff that he gets from the pet store.

Thanks for any advice that you can give!
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 25/7/2011 9:54
Re: Axolotl advice #2
Yes, play sand is fine as a substrate in aquaria, as long as it's not the coloured stuff. Just make sure to give it a good rinse first.
akaike akaike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 26/7/2011 9:59
Re: Axolotl advice #3
Thank you for the info! I'll be sure to thoroughly rinse out the sand before I place it in the tank for toothless (yep, that's what the little axolotl is called)

Thanks again for your help
Onyxia Onyxia
  • Plants Adviser
  • Plants  Adviser
  • From London
  • Group: Advisers Deep End Registered Users
  • Posted on: 26/7/2011 10:45
Re: Axolotl advice #4
Ive been told not to use sand or gravel for axolotls as they might try and eat it.

They are usually kept in bare bottomed tanks or with stones too big to get in their mouths. Ive also seen people use resin to make a sheet of sand so it looks like sand but isnt edible.
Gingerbread_Gem Gingerbread_Gem
  • Quite a regular
  • Quite a regular
  • From Shropshire
  • Posted on: 29/7/2011 12:01
Re: Axolotl advice #5
I just switched my betta tank to sand, apparently some can make the water quite dirty but I used tesco play sand and its perfect, only gave it a quick rinse and it settled really quick, so thought I'd let you know :D ?3 for a 10kg bag, or 2 for ?4
akaike akaike
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 29/7/2011 19:37
Re: Axolotl advice #6
Quote:

Onyxia wrote:
Ive been told not to use sand or gravel for axolotls as they might try and eat it.

That's what I thought as well, but I've been doing a little research about it. Apparently sand is fine as a substrate for axolotls as it causes little to no impaction when they accidentally swallow it. The only thing that I have been warned away from using is small gravel.

Quote:

Gingerbread_Gem wrote:

I just switched my betta tank to sand, apparently some can make the water quite dirty but I used tesco play sand and its perfect, only gave it a quick rinse and it settled really quick, so thought I'd let you know :D ?3 for a 10kg bag, or 2 for ?4

That's good to know - even better since I work for tesco. It's not glamerous, but it pays for all the fishy related purchases I will have a look tonight to see if I can get any.
lolly30 lolly30
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Northumberland
  • Posted on: 13/8/2011 11:11
Re: Axolotl advice #7
Hi I have 3 Axies and they have sand in their tank, I did alot of research before getting my first one and sand was by far the most recommended substrate for them. I did try them on tiles but they were not too happy so I put sand in and they have been happy ever since.
jaspersdad jaspersdad
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Warwickshire
  • Group: Deep End Registered Users FK Supporter
  • Posted on: 13/8/2011 12:24
Re: Axolotl advice #8
How do you tell if they are happy? They alway look grumpy to me

JON
Resized Image
cheapchickens cheapchickens
  • Not too shy to talk
  • Not too shy to talk
  • From Cheshire
  • Posted on: 6/4/2012 22:37
Re: Axolotl advice #9
my axies penelope and spyro love sand, they sometimes bury their noses...so cute. i placed pieces of slate around tank aswell, they seem to like it.