NaturalBlue NaturalBlue
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 14:41
wildlife pond advice #1
Hi all

I'm having to move into a rented house and so have rehomed my fish. However, there are two enormous resident frogs which I'm reluctant to make homeless. As I'll be moving several hundred miles away, and am trying to sell the house with the pond, I just wanted your advice. I currently have a pond pump and filter running, and the water quality is great. If I take out the filter/pump will the water quality deteriorate? I don't want to create a stinking cesspool which leaves my neighbours complaining, and I'd hate for the frogs to lose their home. I'm leaving a large water lily for shade. So, do I empty the pond and assume that the frogs will forgive me and move on. Or can I leave them without the filter and pump, and the pond will settle down, and not stink? Any advice welcome.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: Registered Users Moderators Advisers FK Supporter Deep End
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 15:14
Re: wildlife pond advice #2
It should be fine without a pump and filter if there are no fish. I'd make sure there were enough plants in there to prevent blanket weed taking over. How big is the pond? I think frogs actually prefer still water anyway.
NaturalBlue NaturalBlue
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 15:23
Re: wildlife pond advice #3
It is about 3' by 5' with a depth of up to 2.5' in some areas. It is a preformed pond with a large lily in it so I do think that should create the cover required.

Many thanks for your advice, I like my frogs (miss my fish though) and wouldn't want to evict them unnecessarily
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 15:32
Re: wildlife pond advice #4
If the new owners have children, I would say, sorry but fill it in. The frogs will move on (Although not ideal,its best you fill it in than the new owners and bury the frogs alive)

If They don't have children you could leave them clear written instructions how to look after it.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 18:53
Re: wildlife pond advice #5
I have a wildlife pond and small children, they are not incompatible I'd leave it up to them, they can fill it in if they want to.
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 19:04
Re: wildlife pond advice #6
I never said they are incompatible, far from it, a pond can be used to teach youngsters a lot.
I am suggesting that to be kind to the frogs, that it be drained and filled in if the new people have kids.

When some one moves house, its very stress full, the last thing people with kids worry about is looking after a pond, to them its a danger they can do without. Mate of mine first thing he did when looking in the garden "stick a fork in the pond to empty it" He had a "toddler" and did not want her falling in the pond. What he did is not uncommon.
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 19:07
Re: wildlife pond advice #7
Maybe ask them first then, I would be well peeved if someone filled in a pond in a house I just bought. Mind you, they would see the pond when they view the house anyway so they could ask about it then if they were concerned.
NaturalBlue NaturalBlue
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Gwyedd
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 19:38
Re: wildlife pond advice #8
Thanks everyone for the advice. As far as safety goes, the pond is contained within a stone wall and is at least three foot high, so a toddler would have to be pretty ingenious or bloomin unlucky to fall in. I hadn't considered that the new owner might just fill it full of earth without making sure there wasn't anything still living in it. That worries me. Not sure what to do. I know other pond owners locally; if I rehomed the frogs and emptied my pond, would they keep coming back to their old digs?
2010 2010
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 22:31
Re: wildlife pond advice #9
Its said that at mating time frogs return to the pond where they were "born"
However, if that was true, why is is that you get frogs in a new build pond. (Since they could not have come from there in the first place.) So I would suspect the frogs will not be happy, but at least they will be alive if you fill it in.

A word of note: I watched a toddler lean / climb over a wall to look in a pond. The parent was busy talking.

Toddler note. Whats up there?, whats that moving if I can look a bit more (lean over and.......)

You may want to read THIS

My mate never noticed his pond, garden was over grown so it could not be seen at first. (When I moved here the garden was overgrown, pity I never took pictures. I am getting there slowly though)

I guess you could build a sturdy timber frame, cover it in netting and put that over the pond. (Raising it slightly so frogs can still get in and out)
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 24/7/2011 22:46
Re: wildlife pond advice #10
I think it's toads that go back to the pond where they were born, that's why you get so many squished on the road. Frogs are happy to just find the nearest puddle or bucket