(1) 2 3 »
_simon_ _simon_
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Group: Registered Users Basic Membership
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 13:17
Stocking an indoor pond? #1
I have a 6' long x 4' wide x 2' deep indoor pond. It's 2' deep all over by the way. Works out to just shy of 1300L and I'm filtering it with a Hozelock Aquaforce 4000 solids pump and a Hozelock Bioforce 5500 pressurised filter with UV clarifier. I also have 2x 1200 lph power heads for aeration and water movement.

At the moment it's set up for tropicals but I've been slowly selling them off as I'm just not happy with the stocking. The problem I have is that decent sized tropical are either pretty inactive or aggressive and need to be kept alone.

Now, whenever I go to a garden centre and look at the pond fish they're always on the go which is what I want - a nice active, busy small indoor pond. The problem is though that they sell them small and I'm not up on coldwater fish so I'm not sure what grows to what size and what pond size requirements they have.

Is anyone able to tell me what I could put in my pond that would be ok in there for life and would give me the busy active look I'm after?
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Group: FK Supporter Advisers Moderators Registered Users Deep End
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 13:25
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #2
Hi Simon, welcome to FK

Wow, that sounds so cool! I've always wanted an indoor pond. What tropicals did you try in it just out of curiosity?

Can you give us the water params before we recommend anything- pH, hardness and temp? Cheers.

Oh and some pics would be awesome too if you have any, mainly so I can go green with envy
_simon_ _simon_
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 13:35
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #3
GH = 10
KH = between 3 and 6 (hard to tell)
PH = between 7.6 and 8 (come up as a light pink)
Temperature is anywhere from room temp to whatever it needs to be as I have 2x 500w titanium heaters. My other indoor pond which is at room temp is reading 20C

As to what tropicals I've tried. I moved my fish from my tank to the pond. Since rehomed my Silver Dollars as they were too thin from above to be seen properly. Rehomed my Tiger Oscar as he was mostly black from the top and vanished in the black pond. At the moment I have some polypterus in there which are fine to see but do very little except sit on the bottom.

I've looked at rays but they're very pricey and can be quite sensitive. Also looked at big snakeheads, giant gourami and arowana but personally I think they'll just get too big.

Edit: seems I can't embed photobucket pictures?
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 13:42
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #4
Yes, they all do get too big! I'd be more inclined to go for a bigger shoal of small fish I think, that would make it look 'busier'. Have you thought about danios? They are really active and a big shoal of them would look wicked.

There are some temperate/cold water fish that would be OK in an indoor pond, I don't know what suppliers are like near you but red shiners might be a good choice if you can get hold of some.
_simon_ _simon_
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 13:47
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #5
We have a big pond section at our local garden centre with vats and vats of fish but I've never seen red shiners.
_simon_ _simon_
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 13:55
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #6
Looking through your caresheet section there's 3 fish that stand out to me.

Common goldfish, yellow goldfish and comet goldfish. Can those cohabit? Are they very active and how many could comfortably live in 1300L?
scatty scatty
  • Home away from home
  • Home away from home
  • From Oxfordshire
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 14:35
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #7
I'm sure one of the cold water advisers would be able to give you more advice than i can but have you had a look at the more fancy goldfish like the moores, rykins,ranchu telesopic eyes ect they look great when viewed from above lisa
_simon_ _simon_
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 14:41
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #8
Afraid the fancies don't appeal to me. Perhaps I'd be better posting in the fishy section rather than the pond one.

Just found the answer to my stocking question though.

This site says
Quote:
Common Goldfish:
40 gallons (48 US gallons, 180 litres) for the first fish with an extra 12 gallons (14 US gallons, 55 litres) for each extra fish. The tank needs to have a minimum length of 4 feet (120cm) to allow swimming room. Single tail goldfish are more suited to a pond when they are near full size to give them swimming room.

So if my maths are correct that would mean:

1300L (my pond)
- 180L 1st fish
= 1120L

1120L / 55L = 20.36, rounded down to 20 fish + 1st fish = 21 common goldfish?
Fishy-Fishy Fishy-Fishy
  • Tropical Moderator
  • Tropical Moderator
  • From -
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 15:19
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #9
Those stats work for aquaria assuming that you'll be doing a 20-40% water change every week- what will your maintenance schedule for a pond be? Pond stocking is normally worked out slightly differently. Also goldfish breed like crazy so if you started with 21 you'd soon have a lot more!
_simon_ _simon_
  • Just popping in
  • Just popping in
  • From Staffordshire
  • Posted on: 16/7/2011 15:23
Re: Stocking an indoor pond? #10
Well I'm used to 50 - 60% weekly water changes so I have no problem with that.

Why would aquaria stocking differ from indoor pond stocking? The only difference is the "tank" is plastic instead of glass.I know of people with the same size in glass actually so it would seem odd if their stocking had to be different from mine just because of the material.

I'm not suggesting I'd actually want 21 fish, just working it out based on the guide on this site :)